+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions on Hiring a Foreign Worker (Live-in Caregiver)

May Ann

Star Member
Jun 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-28-11
AOR Received.
11-21-11
File Transfer...
11-03-11
Med's Done....
06-11-11
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
11-21-11
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2012 (REC'D 01-16-2012)
LANDED..........
04-18-2012
I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my first child and would like to hire my sister from the Philippines as a live-in caregiver. I would like her to be here before I give birth.

I did a little bit of research and didn't realize that the process is more tedious than I had initially expected. In the program requirements, the foreign worker is not required to stay in our place; however, if the foreign worker and I agreed that a live-in arrangement is more feasible, then I (as the employer) should be able to provide a private room. Since she's my sister, I would like her to stay in our place. My husband and I are currently living in a one-bedroom apartment.

And now my dilemma is if I should start the process (i.e. apply for a business number) even if I still live in a one-bedroom apartment OR start the process and just change the address if I moved to a two-bedroom apartment. Because I still have to advertise the job, I wanted to get the process going while looking for a new apartment.

I still have a lot of questions; but for now, I would appreciate it if someone can share his/her experience with hiring a foreign live-in caregiver.

Thank you.

Dimi2015

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
BC
LANDED..........
04-2018
I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my first child and would like to hire my sister from the Philippines as a live-in caregiver. I would like her to be here before I give birth.

I did a little bit of research and didn't realize that the process is more tedious than I had initially expected. In the program requirements, the foreign worker is not required to stay in our place; however, if the foreign worker and I agreed that a live-in arrangement is more feasible, then I (as the employer) should be able to provide a private room. Since she's my sister, I would like her to stay in our place. My husband and I are currently living in a one-bedroom apartment.

And now my dilemma is if I should start the process (i.e. apply for a business number) even if I still live in a one-bedroom apartment OR start the process and just change the address if I moved to a two-bedroom apartment. Because I still have to advertise the job, I wanted to get the process going while looking for a new apartment.

I still have a lot of questions; but for now, I would appreciate it if someone can share his/her experience with hiring a foreign live-in caregiver.

Thank you.
A relative of mine did the same process with me 6 yrs ago. Yes, you should provide her with an accomodation if you prefer to her to live with you, or you can find her an accomodation outside your house. ( room for rent )

May Ann

Star Member
Jun 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-28-11
AOR Received.
11-21-11
File Transfer...
11-03-11
Med's Done....
06-11-11
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
11-21-11
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2012 (REC'D 01-16-2012)
LANDED..........
04-18-2012
description of the caregivers room is written on the work contract.
Thanks, Dimi. How long was the approx. timeline since your relative started the application? Do you know?

Reactions: Colinkim