+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions from an American?

snk0731

Jun 17, 2012
I am an American accepted to a Masters in Canada and I have a question about the visa process.

The CIC says that Americans can apply at a port of entry and do not need to send their applications off.

Does this mean that we are exempt from the medical testing and police certificate?

Is it better to apply at the port of entry or should I just send in my application regularly?

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
snk0731 said:
I am an American accepted to a Masters in Canada and I have a question about the visa process.

The CIC says that Americans can apply at a port of entry and do not need to send their applications off.

Does this mean that we are exempt from the medical testing and police certificate?

Is it better to apply at the port of entry or should I just send in my application regularly?
Follow the principle of Occam's razor. Apply at a point of entry; don't complicate things, unless you've got some criminal record...

snk0731

Jun 17, 2012
Nope, no criminal issues of any kind. I just don't know if I need to have the police certificate/medical check. It says that it's sometimes requested by the CIC.

My main worry is that I'll get everything ready, fly to Canada to get my permit and then for some unknown reason they ask for one of those.

Is it that they just don't ask American applicants who apply at the airport for these things?

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
American residents/citizens are exempt from medical examination.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Where are the most chances? If I goto POE right now but my classes start in Sept they might deny me. you went though this process?
No, I was born here . However all POE do the same processing of applications. However, it’s only February, and if your classes don’t start till September, they’ll probably ask what you plan to be doing in Canada between now and when your classes start . That’s six months

Dec 27, 2019
No, I was born here . However all POE do the same processing of applications. However, it’s only February, and if your classes don’t start till September, they’ll probably ask what you plan to be doing in Canada between now and when your classes start . That’s six months
Yeah, but I could tell them I just wanted to come get the work permit so I have it when I return to study around september. Plus i didn't know if i will get denied if I came around september. No?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yeah, but I could tell them I just wanted to come get the work permit so I have it when I return to study around september. Plus i didn't know if i will get denied if I came around september. No?
You don't get a work permit. You get a study permit. Trying to come to Canada this early, you would almost certainly be knocked back at the border. Also note that you are not allowed to work until you actually start studying.

Dec 27, 2019
You don't get a work permit. You get a study permit. Trying to come to Canada this early, you would almost certainly be knocked back at the border. Also note that you are not allowed to work until you actually start studying.
I meant to spell study permit. Got it, I will just apply online. When you apply online (cic website with GCKey) I dont know if they give you a study permit or a study visa on your passport and then study permit at border. But I do it online so if I get denied I have time to reapply maybe.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would caution you to look at the apprenticeship requirements. HVAC programs usually have an apprenticeship program and Canadian citizens and OR have priority. There are many Canadians who struggle to get apprenticeships and they will get first priority irregardless of whether you have connections in the Sikh community.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I meant to spell study permit. Got it, I will just apply online. When you apply online (cic website with GCKey) I dont know if they give you a study permit or a study visa on your passport and then study permit at border. But I do it online so if I get denied I have time to reapply maybe.
If you apply online, you will get approval and the study permit will be issued at entry.