+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

questions asked at customs for visitor visas

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what are the questions likely to be asked at customs for those wanting to enter on visitor visa's? 6 months is a long time to take 'off work' and still have a job to go back to.

Do you have to show proof that you still have a job?
Do you have to provide proof of still owning a home or renting?
open bank accounts et?

once here my fiance and i will marry and he's not going back - we hope lol. So basically how does he get around these questions?

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I can't comment on specific questions you will be asked. But to get "around" them . . . so to speak, better had change your story ("he's not going back" won't fly at the border) and change it to one that you REALLY believe, at least temporarily.

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lol no i mean - i'm not letting him go back. good grief i wouldn't say that at customs lol......

M

mikeymyke

You're just going to create more problems for yourself by letting him overstay (ex. violating immigration laws). Once you process the application and they find out he's not currently living in his home country, they're going to hit you hard for misrepresentation, and he will already have on his record, that he has overstayed his visa once already.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
mikeymyke said:
You're just going to create more problems for yourself by letting him overstay (ex. violating immigration laws). Once you process the application and they find out he's not currently living in his home country, they're going to hit you hard for misrepresentation, and he will already have on his record, that he has overstayed his visa once already.
You are aware that people can extend their visitor's visa right? Which is proabably what OP is going to do... so it's legal trust me.

Mrs.JGM613

Apr 25, 2013
Kay1 said:
what are the questions likely to be asked at customs for those wanting to enter on visitor visa's? 6 months is a long time to take 'off work' and still have a job to go back to.

Do you have to show proof that you still have a job?
Do you have to provide proof of still owning a home or renting?
open bank accounts et?

once here my fiance and i will marry and he's not going back - we hope lol. So basically how does he get around these questions?
I was in Canada October 2012 on a Visitor's Visa. At the port of entry (i have connecting flight) in Canada, I was asked by the Immigration Officer if how long will I stay in Canada, what's my purpose of being there, who is the person that I'll visit, his job, his address, my profession... etc.

I was not asked of any document to present aside from the passport with visa and filled-out immigration card.

As to the Customs, I just gave the form and since i have nothing to declare, I got thru easily.

Does your fiance have a return ticket? (I was asked to show my return ticket upon leaving my home country)... If he has then that's the return date he'll say when asked or he can say 6 months, in which the visa is still valid. If he plans to stay beyond 6months, he needs to apply for visa extension. It's better to have things LEGALLY. Once he's there, you can get married, if you'll sponsor him then you can process the sponsorship while he's there.

moidyn

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2012
AOR Received.
09-11-2012
Med's Done....
10-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2013
LANDED..........
04-05-2013
Every time I come through, I just tell them that I am "visiting" my husband. I have a visitor's stamp on my passport that is good for six months, but I cross the border at least once a month. Every time I cross I get a different set of questions (the last time asked if I had a job, and I told them I was unemployed, which is lucky because that allowed me to spend more time with my husband while my application is going through. They just waved me through).

The key is to tell them enough to answer their questions, but not enough to create more questions, if that makes sense...

Reactions: whitely