+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions around G5 (group of five) sponsorship for Syrians

Loulz

Aug 7, 2018
thank you for your response.

I understand that the group will have to provide proof that they are able to support financially (and the group will provide that information) but if the refugee is able to support himself and wants to support himself is there any problem in not receiving the financial support from the group?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you for your response.

I understand that the group will have to provide proof that they are able to support financially (and the group will provide that information) but if the refugee is able to support himself and wants to support himself is there any problem in not receiving the financial support from the group?
That's not how the system works. That would unfairly benefit wealthy refugees. Also becomes a situation where people are paying for a sponsorship. This situation does happen and the sponsor could get in trouble for it. If the refugee finds a job in Canada financial support could be tapered off if both parties agree.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well , if you have any letter from UN that they are accepted as Refugees , then you can proceed to sponser them without waiting. No Problem should take place. If possible , ask UN , how long more till they get their Card. I know they will give a rough figure or they will say they don’t know because it’s a very crap system in Afg Pak and India.
Once you sponser them , then it wouldn’t be a problem. Try sponsering them through a good channel. Let’s say Afghan Woman Organization which is Governed by Adeena Niazi. Or Some other trustable Organization which you can trust. You’ll have to deposit a certain amount of money lets say 25000-30000 dollars and you will also be responsible for their 1st year expenses when they Land in Canada. As Govt won’t provide you funds.
You will get back your 25000-30000 which you had submitted.
So once they land in Canada , it’s better to find them some Jobs at a local Restaurant and some Malls till they get settled and that 1 year gets completed. Most of people come and start driving Uber next month if they have a legit Driving License from Afghanistan which can be stamped in Afghan Embassy in Canada. Or lets say if Indian License can be issued to them on the UN card. Uber has good money for new comers. Any questions , please let me know. We came to Canada 6 months ago. We came from Pakistan but I’ve been through every problem and issue and I know what exactly goes during sponsers
Have a great day brother.
Just wanted to clarify that you won't get back your 25000-300000 it will got to pay for the expenses of the family for a year. Job or not the family is entitled to monetary support for the first year. Many refugees won't have access to a car or be able to get a license easily. Many will need to/should attend language classes.

Loulz

Aug 7, 2018
That's not how the system works. That would unfairly benefit wealthy refugees. Also becomes a situation where people are paying for a sponsorship. This situation does happen and the sponsor could get in trouble for it. If the refugee finds a job in Canada financial support could be tapered off if both parties agree.
That makes sense.. I'm also not talking about wealthy refugees.. I'm talking about a refugee who may be able to support himself and work in Canada.

Loulz

Aug 7, 2018
Just wanted to clarify that you won't get back your 25000-300000 it will got to pay for the expenses of the family for a year. Job or not the family is entitled to monetary support for the first year. Many refugees won't have access to a car or be able to get a license easily. Many will need to/should attend language classes.
Just to be clear the 25,0000-30,0000 goes to the family directly right? and I do understand that that money will not come back of course.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just to be clear the 25,0000-30,0000 goes to the family directly right? and I do understand that that money will not come back of course.
I'm not sure if groups do it differently depending on the abilities of the refugees. If you don't speak English and have lived in a cash based rural area you will need much more help than someone who has lived in a city, speaks English/French and has travelled internationally. Sponsors and the family are likely both on the account. There is a give and take. Sponsors need to teach sponsored family what things cost in Canada and how to budget. As things progress they maybe less hands on. Some sponsored family want to be left alone with the understanding that there is no money if they run out. That seems to be the minority.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That makes sense.. I'm also not talking about wealthy refugees.. I'm talking about a refugee who may be able to support himself and work in Canada.
The purpose of the sponsorship funds is to make sure refugee prioritize things like language courses during that first year or training so they will integrate better and be able to get a better job in the end. If someone arrives without money they can be exploited by employers, put in unsafe work environments and their job options will be limited if they don't have good or any language skills. It also takes time to learn how to get around the city, register children in school, get paperwork done, etc.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm wondering if someone can help me find out some information about the 5 group sponsorship of a Syrian Refugee.
1. on the Canadian Immigration Website it states that the individual being sponsored must be a refugee (i.e. recognized by a state or UNHCR) but in the thread I read that they don't need to be recognized. Can someone please clarify?
I know that there was a period of time that Iraqi and Syrian refugees did not need to be recognized by the UNHCR, or a foreign state, this exceptional rule ended in Jan. 2017 to the best of my knowledge)

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know that there was a period of time that Iraqi and Syrian refugees did not need to be recognized by the UNHCR, or a foreign state, this exceptional rule ended in Jan. 2017 to the best of my knowledge)
Correct. That exception no longer applies.

Reactions: live&love