Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Hi everyone,

I am considering organizing a group of five sponsors for a young Syrian family that I know who needs help. I have a number of questions and I'm wondering if there is anyone on this forum who has experience in doing the same? My husband is also Syrian and we are just going through the final stages of our family class sponsorship application.

I have seen this information on the CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/sponsor/groups.asp that also indicates those from Syria or Iraq do not need to be refugees...does anyone have experience with this? For reference, here is the application package http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/private.asp

Also I am wondering, can the sponsoring group be larger than five people? I know there are minimum financial commitments (around 23,000 CAD for a family of 3 I believe)

I look forward to your participation in this thread :)

C.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A family was sponsored in my neighbourhood.

They don't have to be officially recognized as refugees by UNHCR to qualify but they do have to be refugees (in the sense that they are outside of Syria and obviously unable to return).

Yes - the sponsoring group can certainly be larger than five people.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Sounds great. Thank you so much. Now I just need to figure out what the Syrian family needs to do...is it sort of like the spousal process? the sponsorship side seems pretty straight forward. Wonder what sort of timeline we are looking at...

C.

ismaeel

Jul 26, 2017
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
June-2018
Anyone knows hoω long it takes for G5 sponsership from india new delhi ? from submitting forms till PPR ?

ismaeel

Jul 26, 2017
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
June-2018

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
With the influx of Haitian refugees across the border from the US, many of the processing times for refugees have been getting longer. Inland claim assessment has gone from 90 days to 18+ months in the last few months due to this. I suspect all other processes will be affected in a similar way.

ismaeel

Jul 26, 2017
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
June-2018
With the influx of Haitian refugees across the border from the US, many of the processing times for refugees have been getting longer. Inland claim assessment has gone from 90 days to 18+ months in the last few months due to this. I suspect all other processes will be affected in a similar way.
One last question
Do afghans who left thier country due to security reasons and came to india as a refugee but until now they did not get thier UN refugee card but are waiting can be sponsered tro G5 sponsership ? Or they have to get the UN card then apply for them ?

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hi. I'd like to suggest one thing. Find a church which is willing to sponsor them. You can tell them that you will provide the financial part but you need their name on paper as sponsors. Immigration trusts them more and the application will go much faster.
Imagine that for a group of 5, the immigration will have to do background and credit check for every one of you. The process will take months if not years. I am sure there are many community groups (doesn't need to be a church, it can be any community place recognized by immigration).

You can compare the processing time and go from there. It might be the same or not. Worth checking.

I believe you already know the family need to be outside Syria.

Reactions: ismaeel

Muhammad286

Aug 7, 2017
Salam Ismael Jan
Brother group of 5 takes time.
Yes depends how strong the case goes and if not run into Problems may be 3-5 years.
Lawyers need your money. That’s it. They don’t care. They are there to tell you good stuff but usually that’s not the case.

Muhammad286

Aug 7, 2017
Well , if you have any letter from UN that they are accepted as Refugees , then you can proceed to sponser them without waiting. No Problem should take place. If possible , ask UN , how long more till they get their Card. I know they will give a rough figure or they will say they don’t know because it’s a very crap system in Afg Pak and India.
Once you sponser them , then it wouldn’t be a problem. Try sponsering them through a good channel. Let’s say Afghan Woman Organization which is Governed by Adeena Niazi. Or Some other trustable Organization which you can trust. You’ll have to deposit a certain amount of money lets say 25000-30000 dollars and you will also be responsible for their 1st year expenses when they Land in Canada. As Govt won’t provide you funds.
You will get back your 25000-30000 which you had submitted.
So once they land in Canada , it’s better to find them some Jobs at a local Restaurant and some Malls till they get settled and that 1 year gets completed. Most of people come and start driving Uber next month if they have a legit Driving License from Afghanistan which can be stamped in Afghan Embassy in Canada. Or lets say if Indian License can be issued to them on the UN card. Uber has good money for new comers. Any questions , please let me know. We came to Canada 6 months ago. We came from Pakistan but I’ve been through every problem and issue and I know what exactly goes during sponsers
Have a great day brother.

Loulz

Aug 7, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm wondering if someone can help me find out some information about the 5 group sponsorship of a Syrian Refugee.
1. on the Canadian Immigration Website it states that the individual being sponsored must be a refugee (i.e. recognized by a state or UNHCR) but in the thread I read that they don't need to be recognized. Can someone please clarify?
2. If the individual being sponsored (Syrian Refugee) is able to financially support themselves, is there an option for the group to just assist with local integration and not be financially obligated?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone. I'm wondering if someone can help me find out some information about the 5 group sponsorship of a Syrian Refugee.
1. on the Canadian Immigration Website it states that the individual being sponsored must be a refugee (i.e. recognized by a state or UNHCR) but in the thread I read that they don't need to be recognized. Can someone please clarify?
2. If the individual being sponsored (Syrian Refugee) is able to financially support themselves, is there an option for the group to just assist with local integration and not be financially obligated?
1. Yes - they must be recognized by UNHCR.
2. No - no such option. The local group must be prepared to support the sponsored individual financially and must provide evidence they are able to do so.