+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about Working Holiday Visa

quarko

Star Member
May 23, 2015
I'm thinking of immigrating to Canada, however, I'm a bit low on points required for EE and not sure Canada is a right choice. Therefore, I'm thinking of applying to IEC for Working Holiday Visa. And I have several questions on the topic that I would be thankful for receiving the answers:

1. If I work a temporary (contract) but skilled job during my IEC stay, will it count towards my points on future EE application?
2. How often are IEC WH draws conducted? Are there separate draws for each country, or is there some global pool?
3. Currently, I can see that there are ~170/200 open spots for my country. Does that mean that I have a 100% chance of getting IEC WH visa if applied now (as only 30 spots were used in 3 months), or are there some other, more important selection criteria behind this system?
4. How long does it usually takes to sit in a queue until selected?
5. I've heard that applying with friends does not work great, as some may be selected while others not. Given that the quota for my country is totally unfilled, is this still the case for me?
6. I'm thinking of trying to do IEC WH with my wife. Is it possible to "synchronize" our visa time somehow? Maybe by waiting as long as possible for one applicant to send his documents giving the time for the other one to recieve the invitation. Has anyone tried this and will it work in theory? We want there to be no more than 1 month difference in our visa times.

Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quarko said:
I'm thinking of immigrating to Canada, however, I'm a bit low on points required for EE and not sure Canada is a right choice. Therefore, I'm thinking of applying to IEC for Working Holiday Visa. And I have several questions on the topic that I would be thankful for receiving the answers:

1. If I work a temporary (contract) but skilled job during my IEC stay, will it count towards my points on future EE application?

Only if you work for one year.

2. How often are IEC WH draws conducted? Are there separate draws for each country, or is there some global pool?

Each country has it's own pool, you can check here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=hk Draws are random

4. How long does it usually takes to sit in a queue until selected?

Could be up to a year, or you could not be picked
5. I've heard that applying with friends does not work great, as some may be selected while others not. Given that the quota for my country is totally unfilled, is this still the case for me?

Everyone applies as an individual

6. I'm thinking of trying to do IEC WH with my wife. Is it possible to "synchronize" our visa time somehow? Maybe by waiting as long as possible for one applicant to send his documents giving the time for the other one to recieve the invitation. Has anyone tried this and will it work in theory? We want there to be no more than 1 month difference in our visa times.

NO, you may be selected or your wife may be selected or neither. To repeat the draw is random.

Thanks in advance.

quarko

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Thanks for answers.

And if one gets drawn from the pool, do you get assigned the WP dates at random, or can you choose ones? In either case, what is the range of dates?

BlessedSherry

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/09/2014
Doc's Request.
17th March 16, docs sent 2nd April
AOR Received.
07/01/2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Copr 14.04.2016
LANDED..........
...Waiting
this is how I gained work experience to apply for cec.
not sure which country you are applying from, or how they are doing it now, but spaces were limited and ran out within minutes of the pool opening.
once you application is accepted you will have one year from the approval date to enter into Canada, your work permit will begin from the day you land inside of canada

quarko

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Ok, I and my wife have received our invitations yesterday. The open work permit will be only valid for exactly one year. Is this plan feasible for me:

1. Go in with Tourist visa.
2. Look for job. Find one. Sign a contract for a year with some date X specified as the day I begin working.
3. On date X, go to the border, activate my Open Work Permit, and start working from the same day for precisely 1 year. This is a tricky part, as far as I know, even one day missing from work experience will make it impossible for me to get bonus points for canadian experience.
4. At the end of the year collect bonus points.

Is this plan feasible? Is there an easier (less riskier) way to accomplish the same result (getting points for 1 year of experience in canada) having a (not yet activated) 1 year open work permit on hands?

Thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1.Fine as long as you are clear when landing that you are not activating your WHV
2. A job classed as NOC O,A or B would probably be required
3. This is the tricky part given you would also need a visitor permit that allows you to stay on once the WHV expires else you would have to leave the country.
4. You need to complete the year to claim

Better if you can find a sponsor with a job offer.

You could maybe play the game if your wife can find a job classed as NOC O,A,B then have her delay activating WHV so when your WHV expires your wife's WHV is still active and working but if in a NOC 0,A or B a spouse work permit might be possible for the remaining part of her WHV thus adding to the year experience. A challenge to get timing right but not impossible given your WHVs are individual.

quarko

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Thanks for answer.

Bs65 said:
2. A job classed as NOC O,A or B would probably be required
Yes. I'm quite positive this should not be a problem in my case.

Bs65 said:
3. This is the tricky part given you would also need a visitor permit that allows you to stay on once the WHV expires else you would have to leave the country.
Could you please elaborate on this? I thought activating it on time would be the main problem. Is it difficult to get visitor permit in advance at the end of WHV? Also, is it possible to just finish my last work day and in the evening to go to the airport and fly away?

Bs65 said:
Better if you can find a sponsor with a job offer.
Do you mean LMIA? As far as I know LMIA is a painfully long and expensive process which nobody wants to do.

Bs65 said:
You could maybe play the game if your wife can find a job classed as NOC O,A,B then have her delay activating WHV so when your WHV expires your wife's WHV is still active and working but if in a NOC 0,A or B a spouse work permit might be possible for the remaining part of her WHV thus adding to the year experience. A challenge to get timing right but not impossible given your WHVs are individual.
Yes, I have thought about this too. I will probably use this as my secondary plan, as my wife could have a harder time than me finding NOC A level job for unrelated reasons.

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can get refused entry if your intention is not a visitor but you claim to be and I think they have your IEC record in the system already.

Just my two cents.

quarko

Star Member
May 23, 2015
928029 said:
You can get refused entry if your intention is not a visitor but you claim to be and I think they have your IEC record in the system already.

Just my two cents.
Well, I'm not planning to work while on visitor permit. Only to look for job. Are you sure this is bad?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
quarko said:
Well, I'm not planning to work while on visitor permit. Only to look for job. Are you sure this is bad?
With the IEC program people do this all the time they arrive, get into the country as a visitor explaining that they do not want to activate IEC permit at the time but do some tourist things first and then when ready they go to the US border to 'flagpole' to activate the permit.

CBSA are not stupid and they know that you are likely going to use the time to look around for jobs and accomodation, and if they ask if thats what you are going to do then best be honest stressing you will not start any job until you have activated your permit.

You may get an officer on an off day who insists you activate straight away in which case you then get into the need for insurance and proof of funds debate to get the full IEC term but as said people do this all the time. If you want to stay on at the end of WHV (within 30 days of expiry) you have to apply for a visitor extension explaining you want to do touristy things that dovetails with your WHV, if not then technically should leave the country on the last day your WHV expires.

quarko

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Thanks again for your answer.

Bs65 said:
when ready they go to the US border to 'flagpole' to activate the permit
Could you please explain how this process works in detail? Do I come to US border, leave into USA as a visitor and come back? Or do I just go through Canada border and come right back from neutral territory?

Thanks in advance.

enviousone

Star Member
Jun 9, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
10-02-2015
Med's Request
12-03-2016
Med's Done....
22-03-2016 (Sent 28-03-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2016
LANDED..........
14-05-2016
quarko said:
Thanks again for your answer.

Could you please explain how this process works in detail? Do I come to US border, leave into USA as a visitor and come back? Or do I just go through Canada border and come right back from neutral territory?

Thanks in advance.
Generally it's the first option you mentioned. If you have a U.S. visa or are visa exempt, you can cross as a visitor, if not, you get an "administrative refusal" from U.S. authorities and re-enter Canada.