+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about Visitor Visa application for parent

MisterSandman

Apr 7, 2022
Hello! I had some questions about the visitor visa application for my mother. My mum has two children, and both I and my brother are studying in Canada. She has enough funds in her bank account to show that she can financially support herself, but I am a bit worried the officer will be skeptical since both me and my brother live in University housing, so she will be living in a hotel. She is also a homemaker, i.e. no employment in India.

1. Is it okay if only one of us is "inviting" the parent to Canada? Should I mention that my mum will be visiting both me and my brother in the invitation letter? I am a bit worried that they will question that both her children are in Canada, so what if she overstays.

2. Her husband (my dad) stays in India and will not be coming to Canada - how can I use this to show that my mum will not overstay and will come back to India?

3. Is the bank account details of the applicant (my mother) enough, if she does have enough money to sustain the trip? Should I add my own bank details? Or my

Would also appreciate any advice on how to create the Itinerary for "Purpose of Travel - Other". We have not bought any tickets or hotels yet, so I was confused.

Thank You!

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
Well if you search this forum ,you will find many cases have been approved with the same situation.

In you case, you would need a letter from your father, to provide financial support to your mother while in Canada and attach his employment and bank details as well .

In addition to this, add an explanation letter in client information section explaining the reason for her stay ,share complete itinerary - details of Airbnb or hotel where she will be stating and tentative dates ,return flight tentative date ,and how she will be covering her daily expense, for that attach her bank account statement.

Please don't book the flight tickets or a hotel , just mentioning the itinerary helps them understand that the journey is planned

Reactions: MisterSandman

MisterSandman

Apr 7, 2022
Well if you search this forum ,you will find many cases have been approved with the same situation.

In you case, you would need a letter from your father, to provide financial support to your mother while in Canada and attach his employment and bank details as well .

In addition to this, add an explanation letter in client information section explaining the reason for her stay ,share complete itinerary - details of Airbnb or hotel where she will be stating and tentative dates ,return flight tentative date ,and how she will be covering her daily expense, for that attach her bank account statement.

Please don't book the flight tickets or a hotel , just mentioning the itinerary helps them understand that the journey is planned
Thanks for your reply!

> In you case, you would need a letter from your father, to provide financial support to your mother while in Canada and attach his employment and bank details as well .

Is this needed even if my mother clearly has enough money in her own bank accounts to sustain herself in Canada?

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
Thanks for your reply!

> In you case, you would need a letter from your father, to provide financial support to your mother while in Canada and attach his employment and bank details as well .

Is this needed even if my mother clearly has enough money in her own bank accounts to sustain herself in Canada?
Although she has enough money ,adding an additional letter wont harm,instead strengthen the application. But if you like to go ahead without this, its fine.
Also if she has property under her name ,mention those details as well.Asset information also help strengthen the application.

There is no need to get an affidavit ,just draft one and get it signed from father.

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
Hello! I had some questions about the visitor visa application for my mother. My mum has two children, and both I and my brother are studying in Canada. She has enough funds in her bank account to show that she can financially support herself, but I am a bit worried the officer will be skeptical since both me and my brother live in University housing, so she will be living in a hotel. She is also a homemaker, i.e. no employment in India.

1. Is it okay if only one of us is "inviting" the parent to Canada? Should I mention that my mum will be visiting both me and my brother in the invitation letter? I am a bit worried that they will question that both her children are in Canada, so what if she overstays.

Yes, Invitation letter you can mention that she will visit both of Children , No harm in that , But Why you are making it complicated , Can you just mention that she is coming to visit you . (Obviously once she will get Visa , she can visit bot of you here )
She need to show she have enough tie up with her home country , which shows she will back as soon as Visa validity exp. i.e. 6 month per trip
The documents for tie-up can be , Her Bank statement , property papers, Pension letter, Filing Income tax documents etc.

2. Her husband (my dad) stays in India and will not be coming to Canada - how can I use this to show that my mum will not overstay and will come back to India?

No need to worry about this , If you showed enough tie up it is assumed she will go back ,

3. Is the bank account details of the applicant (my mother) enough, if she does have enough money to sustain the trip? Should I add my own bank details? Or my

You can show your T4/NOA (latest) and 3 month bank statement also along with her bank statement , nothing wrong in providing confidence to caseworker that she has enough fund.

Would also appreciate any advice on how to create the Itinerary for "Purpose of Travel - Other". We have not bought any tickets or hotels yet, so I was confused.

You need to just provide tentative date and explain that she will stay with you (which I assume) for return ticket , since it is visitor visa , I will suggest you can mention that her tentative return date that should be ok

Good Luck

Thank You!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank You!
Are you a PR or citizen? If you are an international student you can’t invite a parent to come and visit. They can apply to visit Canada as a tourist.

MisterSandman

Apr 7, 2022
Are you a PR or citizen? If you are an international student you can’t invite a parent to come and visit. They can apply to visit Canada as a tourist.
Do you have any source for this? This sounds wrong, my immigration counselor explicitly told me to put the visa as "Family Visit" instead of "Tourist." Putting tourist is suspicious since it is obvious that she would be coming to visit her children, not just as a regular tourist.

Just because we're international students doesn't mean we can't have our families visit us.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do you have any source for this? This sounds wrong, my immigration counselor explicitly told me to put the visa as "Family Visit" instead of "Tourist." Putting tourist is suspicious since it is obvious that she would be coming to visit her children, not just as a regular tourist.

Just because we're international students doesn't mean we can't have our families visit us.
You can send a letter of invitation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You can put family visit but you can’t technically invite them as an international student.

MisterSandman

Apr 7, 2022
You can put family visit but you can’t technically invite them as an international student.
Again, I would like a source. I have talked to 2 different immigration counselors about this and none have mentioned this. I understand this is a forum, but like, you can't just make things up lol.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Again, I would like a source. I have talked to 2 different immigration counselors about this and none have mentioned this. I understand this is a forum, but like, you can't just make things up lol.
Doesn’t mean they can’t visit Canada just that you can’t send an invitation letter.

MisterSandman

Apr 7, 2022
Doesn’t mean they can’t visit Canada just that you can’t send an invitation letter.
So it's safe to say you're wrong, there is no evidence anywhere that prevents international students from sending an invitation letter.

Here's UBCs website for international students for inviting their family:
https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/inviting-friends-family-visit

And McGill:
https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/immigration-documents/inviting-family

The official GIC website also says nothing like what you're saying:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html

It's very worrying that such an active member on this forum is giving incorrect information. I'd recommend doing your research before giving advice about something you clearly don't know much about.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So it's safe to say you're wrong, there is no evidence anywhere that prevents international students from sending an invitation letter.

Here's UBCs website for international students for inviting their family:
https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/inviting-friends-family-visit

And McGill:
https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/immigration-documents/inviting-family

The official GIC website also says nothing like what you're saying:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html

It's very worrying that such an active member on this forum is giving incorrect information. I'd recommend doing your research before giving advice about something you clearly don't know much about.
Without permanent status in Canada you can’t really invite someone to Canada since you also have temporary status. The GIC link that you provided does not indicate that students should include a letter of invitation if a family member wants to visit them.

MisterSandman

Apr 7, 2022
Without permanent status in Canada you can’t really invite someone to Canada since you also have temporary status. The GIC link that you provided does not indicate that students should include a letter of invitation if a family member wants to visit them.
That is incorrect. I'm inviting them on a visitor visa, not for PR, so it is also a temporary visa. The fact that I have a temporary status makes little difference to that fact. The GIC link doesn't exclude students from inviting, which is my point.

What do you think about the other 2 links I sent, which are from UBC/McGill's immigration teams, which literally ask their international students to write an invitation letter.