+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about Temporary Residence Visa

Caroline

Mar 3, 2006
South Africa
Hi there

I have a few questions with regard to TRV-if we have an 'offshore' income:

1. Can a TRV be issued for a longer stay than 6 months?Does the lenght of stay depend on how much funds we have or on something else?
2. Can our children (under 18) go to school in Canada i.e in Australia you have to pay but your children can still enrol in a government school whilst on temp visa.
3. Can we apply for a 'self employed persons visa' whilst living in Canada on a TRV?

I am searching the CIC and have tried contacting the Embassy but I can't seem to find the answers to my questions. We are currently living in South Africa and will be moving in January 2007-It is just a matter of finding out if Canada is a more suitable option for us than Australia.

I would really appreciate any input or help.

Caroline

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Caroline said:
Hi there

I have a few questions with regard to TRV-if we have an 'offshore' income:

1. Can a TRV be issued for a longer stay than 6 months?Does the lenght of stay depend on how much funds we have or on something else?
2. Can our children (under 18) go to school in Canada i.e in Australia you have to pay but your children can still enrol in a government school whilst on temp visa.
3. Can we apply for a 'self employed persons visa' whilst living in Canada on a TRV?

I am searching the CIC and have tried contacting the Embassy but I can't seem to find the answers to my questions. We are currently living in South Africa and will be moving in January 2007-It is just a matter of finding out if Canada is a more suitable option for us than Australia.

I would really appreciate any input or help.

Caroline
1. Yes it can be longer, funds, and the reason why you require more time are the criteria and how you are able to leave your employment for such an extended time.
2. Children cannot attend school without study permit which must be obtained prior to coming to Canada, and requires that you have acceptance from school. You should note that you may be paying upwards of 10K per year for each child.
3. No you can't apply for PR visa while in Canada, you have to apply to an office outside Canada and it has to be the office where you normally reside, unless you are admitted to Canada for 1 year, then you can apply at Buffalo.
4. Suggest you start reading www.cic.gc.ca especially http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/index.html you should note that unless you are an artist/athlete/farmer you don't have much of a chance under self-employed.
5. You may wish to look at the PNP programs in the various provinces to see if you can qualify for one of their certificates.

PMM

Caroline

Mar 3, 2006
South Africa
Thanks PMM-appreciate that.

Hubby is an author and I did find 'author' under the artist list. We are going to Vancouver 4th April so we will visit the gvt department as well to ask questions. I am searching through the CIC website and slowly collecting info.

thank you again

Caroline