+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about student permits and possible sponsorship through marriage.

nosestuffing

Aug 5, 2022
Hi there,

So one of my friends met their boyfriend about a year ago.

My friend is a Canadian Citizen, her partner is not.

I believe he was here as an international student from Australia, but he dropped out in late 2021. He's been working under the table since.
From my understanding, as soon as he drops out, the school reports his student status to the govt, right?

My friend and her partner seem to believe that just getting married will resolve the situation because supposedly, she can sponsor him for 3 years and everything should be fine.

I've been trying to tell her this probably wouldn't work but I don't think either of us really understands the whole process.

She married him about 2 weeks ago because his student visa is set to expire in September this year, but something doesn't seem right. She can't just get married to him and sponsor him for him to stay when he violated his visa right? Isn't there a lot more to this whole process? Can anybody help me understand? Another friend of mine told me that the moment they try to apply for the sponsorship, they'll have a look at his breached student status and deport him.

Also if he does get sent away, would there be a possibility in the future for her to bring him back here?

Thanks to those who can help me understand this situation!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

So one of my friends met their boyfriend about a year ago.

My friend is a Canadian Citizen, her partner is not.

I believe he was here as an international student from Australia, but he dropped out in late 2021. He's been working under the table since.
From my understanding, as soon as he drops out, the school reports his student status to the govt, right?

My friend and her partner seem to believe that just getting married will resolve the situation because supposedly, she can sponsor him for 3 years and everything should be fine.

I've been trying to tell her this probably wouldn't work but I don't think either of us really understands the whole process.

She married him about 2 weeks ago because his student visa is set to expire in September this year, but something doesn't seem right. She can't just get married to him and sponsor him for him to stay when he violated his visa right? Isn't there a lot more to this whole process? Can anybody help me understand? Another friend of mine told me that the moment they try to apply for the sponsorship, they'll have a look at his breached student status and deport him.

Also if he does get sent away, would there be a possibility in the future for her to bring him back here?

Thanks to those who can help me understand this situation!
- Yes, they can get married.
- Yes, she can sponsor him for PR while he is out of status.
- No, they won't automatically deport him just because he is out of status.
- They may examine the relationship more closely to ensure it's genuine. However it's definitely possible to marry and sponsor someone under these circumstances.