+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about Spousal Sponsorship

feno251

Mar 7, 2007
Hello,
I'm a canadian citizen(not living in canada) married to a US citizen, we are starting the process to immigrate to canada.
We printed out all the forms we need from the cic.ca website. We are trying to do this by ourselves, because we don't have all the money for lawyer+fees+moving expenses, etc.
We do not have any criminal records or health issues.
When we get to Canada I'm planning to work and study, and my wife is a Horticulturist with 19 years of experience in the field planning to work as well.
As right now we don't have the $13,000 CAD in our bank accounts to prove that we can support ourselves, can I still sponsor my wife?
Is it easier for us, if she gets a working permit and of course a job, and once we are in Canada start with the sponsorship process?
I'm unemployed at the moment and I really don't want to move without her.
Can somebody tell me what's my best option?
Thank you so much for your time
Deb

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

feno251 said:
Hello,
I'm a canadian citizen(not living in canada) married to a US citizen, we are starting the process to immigrate to canada.
We printed out all the forms we need from the cic.ca website. We are trying to do this by ourselves, because we don't have all the money for lawyer+fees+moving expenses, etc.
We do not have any criminal records or health issues.
When we get to Canada I'm planning to work and study, and my wife is a Horticulturist with 19 years of experience in the field planning to work as well.
As right now we don't have the $13,000 CAD in our bank accounts to prove that we can support ourselves, can I still sponsor my wife?
Is it easier for us, if she gets a working permit and of course a job, and once we are in Canada start with the sponsorship process?
I'm unemployed at the moment and I really don't want to move without her.
Can somebody tell me what's my best option?
Thank you so much for your time
Deb
1. You don't have to have to have an income for a spousal sponsorship, you just can't be on welfare, except for disability. You have to complete the financial, but you will not be refused if you don't meet the Low Income Cutoff figure.
2. As a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your wife while residing outside Canada, if you wait till you arrive in Canada to do an "in-Canada sponsorship, she will not be able to work/attend school until she receives Approval in Princple, about 8/9 months into the process. So start the ball rolling now.
3. Complete the forms and applications with the attachments (FBI and state clearance) and the medical receipt and send them to Mississauga with the correct fees. Also include a statement that once your spouse is issued a visa, you will accompany her to Canada
and what your plans are towards, housing, employment.

PMM

feno251

Mar 7, 2007
Thank you PMM for you rapid response.
I'll start filling my forms right away.
Again,thank you so so much.
Deb

bluewenchee

Star Member
May 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 15, 2014
AOR Received.
September 2, 2014
File Transfer...
September 12, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Feb 07,2014
Passport Req..
Feb 04, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 18, 2015
LANDED..........
March 13, 2015
form to fill up

hello ..

im planning to apply for PR. my husband will going to sponsor me.
just wondering if it is still okay to use old forms under Family class sponsorhip.
i noticed that every now and then, cic is updating forms..

help please

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: form to fill up

bluewenchee said:
hello ..

im planning to apply for PR. my husband will going to sponsor me.
just wondering if it is still okay to use old forms under Family class sponsorhip.
i noticed that every now and then, cic is updating forms..

help please
No - it's not OK to use old forms. You should be using the latest versions of the forms available.