+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about spousal open work permit based on study permit

abjiskumar

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
Hi,

I am an international student currently in Canada. I had started school in September 2019 and my study permit is valid till the end of September 2020.

Now, I have decided to change schools and the new program in which I got admission starts in January 2020. I have notified CIC of the change in schools and sometime in January or February , I would be applying for an extension of the study permit as per the new Letter of Acceptance.

I am also married. I had applied for Visa from India before I got married, hence as per CIC records I am still single. This will hopefully be corrected when I apply for a extension of the study permit.

Now, I also have plans to bring my wife over to Canada (British Columbia) on an open work permit sometime towards the mid of next year.

As far as expenses are concerned, I would be staying with my aunt and uncle and even my wife comes she will be staying there till she finds a job and is comfortable to move out with me.

Below are my questions:-

1) Should I apply independently for the extension of the study permit and her open work permit OR should I put in a combined application for both the process.

2) In the CIC website there is a section for the spouse called "Purpose of Stay" in which they suggest to show a probable date to go back in terms of a return ticket or a doctors appointment in the home country. What should be done in that case?

3) For my extension, for proof of funds, I can show the first term fees paid along with over 10k CAD in account as balance. How can I show that my living expenses in terms of stay and rent will be take care of since I am staying with my uncle and aunt (considering CIC does not recognize uncle and aunt as close relatives)

4) If my spouse and I go for a combined application, will my study permit extension get delayed in any way if there is an issue with her application or vice versa?

Thank you for taking time to read the entire post and replying!