+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about sponsoring dependent child

sbh34

Aug 1, 2021
Hi,

My family and I are Canadian permanent residents except for my newborn daughter who was born outside Canada. I am relocating to Canada soon to initiate the sponsorship application while my wife will stay behind with the newborn in Pakistan. There are a few things confusing me which I would appreciate if someone could clarify:

1) Is my wife, who cannot be a co-signee due to being outside Canada, a non-accompanying parent for the purpose of this application? As soon as my daughter gets PR my wife will "accompany" her to Canada.
2) I was originally the principal applicant for our EE application through which we became permanent residents in Dec 2019. Are my wife and kids (who already have PR) count for sponsorship still in effect through me? The EE application was done by a lawyer so I am not familiar with its details.
3) I also applied for my daughter's TRV which has a UCI. Do I need to specify that same UCI in the IMM008 (generic application form for Canada)?
4) Can I specify my daughter's (i.e. PA) email address to be the same as mine i.e. sponsor's?

Thanks a lot!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

My family and I are Canadian permanent residents except for my newborn daughter who was born outside Canada. I am relocating to Canada soon to initiate the sponsorship application while my wife will stay behind with the newborn in Pakistan. There are a few things confusing me which I would appreciate if someone could clarify:

1) Is my wife, who cannot be a co-signee due to being outside Canada, a non-accompanying parent for the purpose of this application? As soon as my daughter gets PR my wife will "accompany" her to Canada.
2) I was originally the principal applicant for our EE application through which we became permanent residents in Dec 2019. Are my wife and kids (who already have PR) count for sponsorship still in effect through me? The EE application was done by a lawyer so I am not familiar with its details.
3) I also applied for my daughter's TRV which has a UCI. Do I need to specify that same UCI in the IMM008 (generic application form for Canada)?
4) Can I specify my daughter's (i.e. PA) email address to be the same as mine i.e. sponsor's?

Thanks a lot!
2) Assuming you are asking because the form asks about previous sponsorships, no, you didn't sponsor them - you applied under EE and your dependents were included in that app - that's not considered sponsorship.
3) Yes, include it. Even if you don't, they'll figure it out though.
4) Yes.

Reactions: sbh34

sbh34

Aug 1, 2021
Thanks a lot armoured!

I have one more question popping up as I complete the application packet.

As a sponsor, I want to be able to control my daughter's (PA) application who is anyway too little for these matters. Is there any benefit in appointing myself as a representative on behalf of my daughter? I am already submitting the form for authorizing the disclosure of information to me and was wondering what will I gain more by becoming the representative.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks a lot armoured!

As a sponsor, I want to be able to control my daughter's (PA) application who is anyway too little for these matters. Is there any benefit in appointing myself as a representative on behalf of my daughter? I am already submitting the form for authorizing the disclosure of information to me and was wondering what will I gain more by becoming the representative.
Honestly don't know, but I doubt there would be any harm in doing so. I would just to remove be any ambiguity. But better to find out what other dependent child posters say (with direct experience).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot armoured!

Your wife and other children must also take into account their RO. If your baby gets a TRV she won’t have access to free healthcare in most provinces so you’ll need to purchase emergency healthcare insurance and pay for routine healthcare. Sounds like you’ve been out of Canada for quite sometime so your family will need to reapply for healthcare if you applied in 2019. There are separate healthcare residency obligations which must be met of you can be asked to pay back any money spent.

sbh34

Aug 1, 2021
Your wife and other children must also take into account their RO. If your baby gets a TRV she won’t have access to free healthcare in most provinces so you’ll need to purchase emergency healthcare insurance and pay for routine healthcare. Sounds like you’ve been out of Canada for quite sometime so your family will need to reapply for healthcare if you applied in 2019. There are separate healthcare residency obligations which must be met of you can be asked to pay back any money spent.
Thanks for pointing it out. I have the RO issue in mind, they have over a year which I hope would be enough to sort out this visa mess.

sbh34

Aug 1, 2021
I have another question!

My wife (who is a permanent resident) cannot be a co-signer because she is staying out of Canada with the newborn. Does she now become a "non-accompanying" parent who has to sign the declaration (IMM5604e)? I wish it is not required because in our peculiar circumstances signing the document in front of a notary public is proving to be exceptionally challenging.

AM_2022

Mar 29, 2022
I have another question!

My wife (who is a permanent resident) cannot be a co-signer because she is staying out of Canada with the newborn. Does she now become a "non-accompanying" parent who has to sign the declaration (IMM5604e)? I wish it is not required because in our peculiar circumstances signing the document in front of a notary public is proving to be exceptionally challenging.
Hi - What steps/ process you followed for your situation. Can you please guide us, in the same situation.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi - What steps/ process you followed for your situation. Can you please guide us, in the same situation.
You've now asked this exact same question in about five different threads.

You've already got one response:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/employment-requirements-to-sponsor-dependent-child.716934/post-10060506

Please show a little courtesy for others here by not just question-bombing but by actually READING other threads - and even better, read the actual instructions.

Reactions: YVR123

AM_2022

Mar 29, 2022
@armoured - Thanks for your reply on the thread.

Yes I did ask the question in several threads, as I was trying to understand the experiences specifically timeline taken by others. I have read your response and referring the responses in the thread shared by you and reading the instructions.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Thanks.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes I did ask the question in several threads, as I was trying to understand the experiences specifically timeline taken by others.
Not a big deal. But it does waste other people's time, and the best way to find out what has happened to others is to read.

General 'hey what happened to your case' questions for threads that are years old rarely get useful responses.

More specific questions tend to get more useful answers (but again, even better if one reads first and asks questions when stuck).

Reactions: YVR123

ErinBou

Apr 17, 2022
Hi All,

This is the first time I am posting in the forum, though I have been following it since the past year. I am the principal applicant and currently reside in India. My spouse is a Canadian citizen and sponsoring me (spouse) and my son from previous marriage (Age 21 at the time of lock in). Our timelines are provided below.

Application received - 15th Dec 2020
AOR & Sponsor Approval - 17th Feb 2021
Medical Request - 21st Feb 2021
Medical Status Updated - 11th March 2021
File transferred to NDVO - June 2021
PA Eligibility Status In Progress - 30th August 2021
PA Eligibility Complete - 10th Feb 2022
PA Pre-arrival - 10th Feb 2022
Re-medical Request - 17th Feb 2022
Background Check Complete - 18th Feb 2022
Re-medical Updated - 19th March 2022

Most of the timelines for my dependent son are the same, however his Eligibility currently still shows Not Started and he has not received Pre-arrival letter. Everything else for both of us shows Complete. Is this common and any idea on how this works goin forward? Advice from any of the tenured members would be appreciated. Really frustrated and exhausted with the process.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There will not be separate eligibility and pre arrival for the dependent, no need to worry about that.

Honestly looks close to completion but that doesn't tell you how long it might be before the passport request.

Try contacting your mp.

Last edited:
Reactions: ErinBou