+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about reference letter and work experience

next444

Star Member
Aug 12, 2018
Hi guys, I was a student with co-op work permit and then applied for PGWP. I have've working for the same company since my co-op. And here is my work experience timeline:

----Timeline-----------------Visa Status-----------Employment Status

2015.4-2016.12----------Co-op Work Permit------------Part-Time
2016.12-2017.4----------------PGWP---------------------Part-time
2017.4-Current-----------------PGWP---------------------Full-time

1. HR gave me a reference letter stated that I've been working full-time since the very beginning(2015.4) Am I allowed to use it? With all the changes in my status? Please advise.
2. My hourly wages have been raised significantly during my work period, but the letter it only stated my current wage. Would this be a problem? As my previous T4s and pay slips wouldn't match that.
3. During the period of 2016.12-2017.4, I worked over 30 hours a week but my status is part-time. Can I still claim the experience like a full-time?

Much appreciation in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi guys, I was a student with co-op work permit and then applied for PGWP. I have've working for the same company since my co-op. And here is my work experience timeline:

----Timeline-----------------Visa Status-----------Employment Status

2015.4-2016.12----------Co-op Work Permit------------Part-Time
2016.12-2017.4----------------PGWP---------------------Part-time
2017.4-Current-----------------PGWP---------------------Full-time

1. HR gave me a reference letter stated that I've been working full-time since the very beginning(2015.4) Am I allowed to use it? With all the changes in my status? Please advise.
You should aim for an accurate letter that meets the information needs of IRCC. If they refuse to revise it, include your own letter of explanation.

The letter can say something like "Mr/Ms Next444 started working as a co-op student, from FULL DATE MM/DD/YYYY to MM/DD/YYYY" (full -time or part time is not relevant, since this experience does not count). "Effective FULL DATE Next444 became a part-time employee, working XX hours per week, with a starting wage of...." . As of FULL DATE, Next444 became a full-time employee, working XX hours per week. His/Her current salary/wage is...."

2. My hourly wages have been raised significantly during my work period, but the letter it only stated my current wage. Would this be a problem? As my previous T4s and pay slips wouldn't match that.
If you cannot get them to alter the letter, you can provide a letter of explanation. If you have paystubs that show the wage, you can include a couple of samples (no need to include ALL of them!)

3. During the period of 2016.12-2017.4, I worked over 30 hours a week but my status is part-time. Can I still claim the experience like a full-time?
That is why IRCC requires the hours worked per week in the letter of reference. IRCC does not care so much whether your employer considers you part-time or full-time, they only care if you meet the IRCC definition of full-time or part-time. So for any weeks that you worked 30 or more hours per week (all of them? That would make this easy), you would claim it as full-time work.