+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

questions about PR status

Rachel Huang

May 12, 2016
Hello, Guys

I have some questions about PR

1, If your PR expired, you can still live in Canada until you meet residency requirements, then apply new one?
2, If you happen to be outside Canada with expired PR, and don't fulfill residency obligation, you can not return Canada by commercial transportation. But you can re-apply if there is any H&C considerations?

But I heard that if you come back to Canada from US with private transportation, you can still get in with your landing paper even your PR expired ? is it true?

you are always permanent resident unless it is revoked by CIC, PR Card is like a visa that allows you in and out Canada?

Blueboy1980

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rachel Huang said:
Hello, Guys

I have some questions about PR

1, If your PR expired, you can still live in Canada until you meet residency requirements, then apply new one?
2, If you happen to be outside Canada with expired PR, and don't fulfill residency obligation, you can not return Canada by commercial transportation. But you can re-apply if there is any H&C considerations?

But I heard that if you come back to Canada from US with private transportation, you can still get in with your landing paper even your PR expired ? is it true?

you are always permanent resident unless it is revoked by CIC, PR Card is like a visa that allows you in and out Canada?
Your PR card is essentially a travel document and if it's expired it doesn't mean you're not a PR anymore.

In terms of returning to Canada by private vehicle yes it's true. However if you haven't met the minimum residency requirement I'm not sure if that will work. If come to renew your card you haven't been in Canada the minimum amount of days they can revoke your PR status.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can still be reported at the land border if you cross by private vehicle or on foot for not meeting RO. There is no difference in the procedure at an airport or a land crossing. The risk of being reported is exactly the same.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Rachel Huang said:
Yes, as long as you are not reported for not meeting RO.

You can apply for a PR Travel Document based on H&C reasons.
If the H&C claim is accepted you'll get a PR TD, can return to Canada, and immediately apply to renew PR card.
If the H&C claim is not accepted, PR TD will be denied and they will start process to revoke your PR status. You can appeal this decision if you wish.

You can enter, but may be reported upon entry for not meeting RO. If this happens it will start process to revoke your PR status. If you appeal on H&C reasons you can stay in Canada on 1-year validity PR cards until your appeal is heard (could take several years).