+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about permanent resident obligation (I'm residing in Manitoba)

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
Hello,

I landed in Canada since last June 2015 and i'm planning to travel overseas this October 2016. The thing is, i'll be away for more than 6 months because I will travel to Australia and apply for an on-shore partner visa which would lead me to bridging visa (and I can't exit the country not until i get my temporary partner visa in Australia).

My questions are:

1) I am planning to go back to Canada in 2018 once I get my partner visa in Australia to fulfill my permanent resident obligation (2 out of 5 years). But the thing is, I will be away more than 6 months. Should tell the Manitoba Health Care that I will be leaving temporarily so that it won't cause any complications in the future?

2) Since i'll be leaving outside Canada temporarily, will that affect my sponsors on not being able to sponsor anyone in the future? i've been reading some of your posts and it says that my sponsor can't sponsor anyone anymore because i'll be leaving the province. Although, my situation is, i'll be leaving temporary and i'm not working in any other provinces so maybe mine is a different case?

3) If ever it will affect my sponsors, what options should I do? Should I just renounce my residency instead so that my sponsors won't get affected? The reason why i'm leaving Canada temporarily is because i'm planning to settle down with my boyfriend in Australia. But as much as I can, I want to maintain my PR status in Canada.

Your answers are truly appreciated. I've been having a lot of sleepless nights because of thinking too much about my situation :( :(

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Yes, you should tell health care that you will be leaving for more than 6 months.

2) When your sponsor fills out an application to sponsor someone else, they will ask them who have you sponsored before and where do they live now. As long as you are not living in Manitoba, your sponsor is barred from sponsoring someone else. You should therefore ask your sponsor now if they want to sponsor someone quickly before you leave or tell them to get ready to sponsor someone if they want when you return in 2018.

3) You giving up your PR will not help your sponsor. The question on the form is who have you sponsored and where do they live. It does not consider whether you gave up or lost your PR or got citizenship, whether you moved to another country or another province. The key is that you did not settle in MB and are no longer in MB. If you want to keep your PR, you can stay outside Canada maximum 3 years at a time and then have to return for 2 years, repeat indefinitely. It would be hard to settle down in Australia with your boyfriend permanently if that were the case. However, until you work out the relationship, you shouldn't throw your PR away but try to keep it as long as you can or until you feel you no longer want it.

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
Thank you, Leon.

Even if i'm just the dependant of the principal (the sponsor sponsored my dad), I still have to stay in Manitoba?

:( :(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pussmercs said:
Thank you, Leon.

Even if i'm just the dependant of the principal (the sponsor sponsored my dad), I still have to stay in Manitoba?

:( :(
No, if you are a dependent, according to the Manitoba sponsor form, nobody cares where you live. The form only asks about the sponsored individual and where he lives so as long as your dad is in Manitoba, the sponsor has no problem sponsoring others.

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
OMG that's good news to me then. I have nothing to worry about now except calling the Manitoba Health Care for my plans.

Thanks! I can sleep properly now. :)