+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about open work permit with common law application

Jmsmrch

Dec 18, 2017
I currently have a Work Permit obtained through the IEC process.

We are about to submit an application for permanent residency under Common Law.

How long does it take to get the implied status?
Do we need to fill out the IMM5409 with the Work Permit application? (its not required for our common law application)

I have 52 days before my status runs out, I thought I had to have the application submitted 30 days before the end of my current work permit, but the website says 6 weeks to process a work permit application inside Canada

I don't want to submit online as my common law application says I am applying for an open work permit too, wanting to send them both together.

Will this mean I'll have to leave and come back, or be a visitor for a couple of weeks?

I hope this makes sense, I'm sat here getting worried I'll have to leave

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I currently have a Work Permit obtained through the IEC process.

We are about to submit an application for permanent residency under Common Law.

How long does it take to get the implied status?
Do we need to fill out the IMM5409 with the Work Permit application? (its not required for our common law application)

I have 52 days before my status runs out, I thought I had to have the application submitted 30 days before the end of my current work permit, but the website says 6 weeks to process a work permit application inside Canada

I don't want to submit online as my common law application says I am applying for an open work permit too, wanting to send them both together.

Will this mean I'll have to leave and come back, or be a visitor for a couple of weeks?

I hope this makes sense, I'm sat here getting worried I'll have to leave
As you are on an IEC, you will be able to stay in Canada but not work while on Implied Status.

The work permit processing times given by IRCC do not apply to inland spousal OWPs. They take 3-4 months from submission to be issued.

You can't apply for the OWP online anyways.

Jmsmrch

Dec 18, 2017
Thanks for the info. Every time I think I’m ready to send in the application, I stumble across something else that I require.

Where did you find the information on IEC extension?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IEC cannot be extended. Provided you submit the inland application and OWP before your IEC expires, you can remain in Canada without working after your IEC expires. You'll be able to start working again once the OWP is approved.

Reactions: Jmsmrch