+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about online oath ceremony and passport application

ugterrier

Mar 14, 2014
Hi everyone! I finally got my oath invitation (August 2019 applicant)!! It's scheduled for next Monday, November 8th at 9am. However, I'm a really not happy with their timing. I'm a teacher and really can't afford any more time off this fall. Not to mention I have to find a sub. Then there's the problem of plans to go home to the US for the first time in two years for the holidays. I'm hoping someone can please answer the following questions for me:

1) How long does the online oath ceremony usually last?

2) If I expedite both the citizenship certificate and passport, how long will it take to get them?

Thanks in advance!

ugterrier

enigma304

Star Member
Sep 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO (RIH)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-7-2014
Nomination.....
31-10-2014
Med's Request
29-6-2015
Med's Done....
27-7-2015
Interview........
3-6-2015
Passport Req..
9-9-2015 submit: 1-10-15 rec: 13-10-15
LANDED..........
April 2016 InshaAllah
I attended oath ceremony today. It started at 1:30 and we are all done by 2:23. There were around 104 people attending the ceremony.

Reactions: CaBeaver

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
1. An hour on average, 90 minutes at worst (including the wait times)--it might be possible to request the clerk to serve you first right after the ceremony if you really have to get back to work

2. Not sure exactly how soon it'd be with the citizenship and passport offices in Quebec City... but it should be possible to get your passport within 2-4 weeks of your oath (with some generous buffers)

jan_svab

Apr 22, 2017
Related to this question - is it possible to leave Canada after the ceremony, before getting the passport?
I mean in the situation where I have a valid passport from another country and I still have someone in Canada. The expected course of actions would be:
- take the oath
- fill in the passport application
- leave Canada
- once the certificate arrives to my address, someone from my family would attach it to the application and send
- passport arrives to my address
- someone from my family will send/bring it to me abroad

Would this work and is this allowed? Or is some part of that illegal/not possible?
I haven't found anything against this approach at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply-how.html

If it works, maybe this would be a solution for the original post of this thread as well.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Related to this question - is it possible to leave Canada after the ceremony, before getting the passport?
I mean in the situation where I have a valid passport from another country and I still have someone in Canada. The expected course of actions would be:
- take the oath
- fill in the passport application
- leave Canada
- once the certificate arrives to my address, someone from my family would attach it to the application and send
- passport arrives to my address
- someone from my family will send/bring it to me abroad

Would this work and is this allowed? Or is some part of that illegal/not possible?
I haven't found anything against this approach at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply-how.html

If it works, maybe this would be a solution for the original post of this thread as well.
It’s been discussed on this forum several times.

IRCC’s official position is, understandably, don’t travel out of Canada without your Canadian passport in hand. These days, they do allow for expedited/express/urgent processing if you must travel in the near future, in as little as the next day (not sure if they still do same-day as they did before). There’s no excuse to travel without a Canadian passport.

What you describe isn’t necessarily illegal/not allowed, but since passports are still printed in Canada and then forwarded to consulates, expect processing times to be much, much longer.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@jan_svab it's doable, but you will need your certificate number before you can sign your application and leave the country. You'll need to make sure that you have it after the ceremony. Speak with a clerc about this number right after the oath.

Obviously, the preferred approach is the one listed by @bellaluna in the previous post.

Reactions: bellaluna

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi everyone! I finally got my oath invitation (August 2019 applicant)!! It's scheduled for next Monday, November 8th at 9am. However, I'm a really not happy with their timing. I'm a teacher and really can't afford any more time off this fall. Not to mention I have to find a sub. Then there's the problem of plans to go home to the US for the first time in two years for the holidays. I'm hoping someone can please answer the following questions for me:

1) How long does the online oath ceremony usually last?

2) If I expedite both the citizenship certificate and passport, how long will it take to get them?

Thanks in advance!

ugterrier
From what I see here, it takes between 1-2 hours. During the ceremony, ask the agent that you have travel plans for the holidays. You can get your certificate in a couple of days, and your passport in a week or so for urgent processing.

Miaaa S

Nov 2, 2021
From what I see here, it takes between 1-2 hours. During the ceremony, ask the agent that you have travel plans for the holidays. You can get your certificate in a couple of days, and your passport in a week or so for urgent processing.
I’ve been waiting for 3.5 weeks but haven’t received anything ... I talked to a guy on Facebook who got his after 5 weeks. As the timing is so unreliable, I wouldn’t leave without getting the certificate. Too much trouble to come back if your certificate timeline is like mine

ugterrier

Mar 14, 2014
Awesome! Thank you so much! =)

ugterrier

Mar 14, 2014
I’ve been waiting for 3.5 weeks but haven’t received anything ... I talked to a guy on Facebook who got his after 5 weeks. As the timing is so unreliable, I wouldn’t leave without getting the certificate. Too much trouble to come back if your certificate timeline is like mine
Did you tell them you needed it faster, or is that with a normal wait?

Scottpark77

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
Look at your benefit package clearly. there might be a special off days section and you might have one day off.
my workplace do have a Citizenship Hearing section and gives me 1 day off for oath.

jan_svab

Apr 22, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, bellaluna and Seym. I understand it's not illegal, but it's also not recommended.

I have one question though, to make sure I understand it right:

What you describe isn’t necessarily illegal/not allowed, but since passports are still printed in Canada and then forwarded to consulates, expect processing times to be much, much longer.
Here goes the question - I don't understand the "then forwarded to consulates" part. In my scenario, the passport was sent to my regular Canadian address, not to a consulate abroad. Are we on the same page here? My question was about having my passport sent to my address in Canada, picked up by a family member and delivered to me overseas (by hand or by courier) - is this approach what you meant when you said it's allowed? Or would this be for some reason illegal?

These days, they do allow for expedited/express/urgent processing if you must travel in the near future, in as little as the next day (not sure if they still do same-day as they did before). There’s no excuse to travel without a Canadian passport.
I'm not concerned about the time it takes to issue the passport. I'm concerned about the time it takes to receive the certificate. It can be a week, three weeks, five weeks. It's hard to plan around that if it's not reliable. Multiple weeks of waiting with no clear deadline sound like a good enough reason to at least explore the options of travelling using a non-Canadian passport.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
^ Ah, I was assuming you were planning to send the passport application and certificate to a consulate abroad. I didn’t understand your premise entirely.

Now that I understand it, that is even more wrong than the foreign consulate route, lol.

The very first question on the passport application page is where are you applying from, and proceeds to instruct you to apply at a consulate abroad if you are not in Canada or the United States.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply-how.html

The implication is your plan wouldn’t be allowed…are they going to find out about it if you proceed with it? I’m not sure either. Would you want to take that risk?

I understand your concern about the citizenship certificate, and I have also seen a few unfortunate members waiting for months, but they are more the exception than the norm. If there is some way you can request the clerk to get in-person pickup or expedited/tracked delivery in valid urgent scenarios, that is also an accommodation that’s been extended.

Last edited:
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

jan_svab

Apr 22, 2017
Thanks for your response.

The very first question on the passport application page is where are you applying from
So I think my timeline was: fill in the application form -> leave Canada. So while filling the application form (and on the date provided on the form), I am still in Canada, so I'm answering truthfully that I'm in Canada. I don't see that as a concern, do you? Or do you think there is some other concern?