+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

questions about latest imm5257E form - TRV

prateek_sikka

Oct 21, 2008
Hello all,
I am currently working in Canada on a post-grad work permit. Now, i need to travel back, so I need a TRV as it is expired. So, as I am filling the new form IMM5257E (its new, as they say fill it online, then before printing, the pdf will generate a code and then print).

question 7 - should the answer be canada or since i m citizen of india, so my current country of residence is India.
actually canada is not even an option in the drop down menu of this question !!!

question 8 - I have lived and living in canada for past 5 years ... so i guess my answer should be canada.. but strangely Canada not an option in the drop down menu!!! if i fill yes, i cannot leave the country column blank as pdf says incomplete file. so wht to do???

question 9- country where applying means since i will send it to seattle so, it should be US. or should i say canada (again canada is not in option..grrr)

plz help!!!

vrixer

Jun 8, 2010
I've called the cic call center and they told me that you can print out the form and just fill it up by hand...

Janny

Oct 22, 2010
I had the same problems. I had called call-centre and been told this is out side Canada form, should deal with the Consulate that you would apply to. then I had called Buffalo and been told that the department I would ask the questions won't talk the call. So I wrote a email yesterday. I received a repaly email today, saied: "We do not offer individual counselling." I don't think they know the answers of the questions yet .
Maybe print out and fill by hand is the only choice and nobody knows it will "validate" or not, maybe they can refused you by not filling the form validately!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Janny said:
I had the same problems. I had called call-centre and been told this is out side Canada form, should deal with the Consulate that you would apply to. then I had called Buffalo and been told that the department I would ask the questions won't talk the call. So I wrote a email yesterday. I received a repaly email today, saied: "We do not offer individual counselling." I don't think they know the answers of the questions yet .
Maybe print out and fill by hand is the only choice and nobody knows it will "validate" or not, maybe they can refused you by not filling the form validately!
If you are in Canada you can either apply using Buffalo (or one of the other US offices) as the visa office or the visa office that serves your home country. I would use a US office as you probably don't want to mail your passport overseas.

prateek_sikka

Oct 21, 2008
thx for the replies..

i called cic tooo and they said print and submit handwritten.. but mentioned me tht first get it confirmed from the office where i m sending whether they wud accept non validated form or not...

regardless its no use contacting any other office in this matter for me .. cuz phone doesnt work and emailing gave me none replies back..

so i guess best option right now is to send non validated form and mayb attach a sheet explaining the situation..

i hope they wud read the reason and sensibly process the application!!

any other suggestions wud be helpful!!!!!!!!!

Tamazin

Oct 24, 2010
Now, I have the same problem. Please can any one advice me what is the latest applicable solution !!!!
I am willing to submit my application at detroit.

prateek_sikka

Oct 21, 2008
Hello all,

I got the following reply from Detroit office. LA office didn't response yet. Since, I am in Calgary, is it ok to send my TRV application to Detroit?
so wht should my answers be?
#7 = india?
#8 = checked NO ?
#9 = USA , Detroit/LA ?

SIr/Madam,

(this is a "cut & paste" - please excuse the capital letters).

ON THIS NEW APPLICATION FORM, THE ONLY PLACE AN INDIVIDUAL IN CANADA WILL NEED TO INDICATE THAT THEY ARE IN CANADA IS ON PAGE 2 UNDER "CONTACT INFORMATION" BOX#1-CURRENT MAILING ADDRESS. IT IS HERE ONLY THAT THEY WILL INDICATE CANADA AS THE COUNTRY.

BOX#7 IS THE COUNTRY OF THEIR PERMANENT RESIDENCE (HOME COUNTRY IS WHERE THEY PERMANENTLY RESIDE)

BOX#8 IS A COUNTRY IN WHICH YOU HAVE LIVED AS A PERMANENT RESIDENT.

BOX#9 IS THE COUNTRY OF THE CONSULATE TO WHICH THEY ARE APPLYING.

Regards,

flex007z

Mar 16, 2010
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-12-2010
prateek_sikka said:
Hello all,

I got the following reply from Detroit office. LA office didn't response yet. Since, I am in Calgary, is it ok to send my TRV application to Detroit?
#7 = india?
#8 = checked NO ?
#9 = USA , Detroit/LA ?

SIr/Madam,

ON THIS NEW APPLICATION FORM, THE ONLY PLACE AN INDIVIDUAL IN CANADA WILL NEED TO INDICATE THAT THEY ARE IN CANADA IS ON PAGE 2 UNDER "CONTACT INFORMATION" BOX#1-CURRENT MAILING ADDRESS. IT IS HERE ONLY THAT THEY WILL INDICATE CANADA AS THE COUNTRY.

BOX#7 IS THE COUNTRY OF THEIR PERMANENT RESIDENCE (HOME COUNTRY IS WHERE THEY PERMANENTLY RESIDE)

Regards,
So what was the final decision prateek_sikka To put India or Print a non validated form and put Canada????

as i have exact same situation as yours.

The reason I am still confused is:
If they say its only country of your citizenship/PR on Question 7 & 8 then why do they have different status options like Worker, Visitor, etc in it????

Man....this is so messed up..... :mad:

Thanks guys

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Yup, get an unvalidated form and put Canada. They may have another form in the consulate, which they ask to you to fill up when you get there. The new form was placed in the system website only in Sept of this year. Whoever designed the new form did not take into consideration the temporary residents in Canada who would need to renew TRVs :)

flex007z said:
So what was the final decision prateek_sikka To put India or Print a non validated form and put Canada????

as i have exact same situation as yours.

The reason I am still confused is:
If they say its only country of your citizenship/PR on Question 7 & 8 then why do they have different status options like Worker, Visitor, etc in it????

Man....this is so messed up..... :mad:

Thanks guys

prateek_sikka

Oct 21, 2008
well flex.. i applied validated form by putting india and citizen.

IF by any chance they reject it.. i have the email the sent to me ready to fax them!!

flex007z

Mar 16, 2010
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-12-2010
prateek_sikka said:
well flex.. i applied validated form by putting india and citizen.

IF by any chance they reject it.. i have the email the sent to me ready to fax them!!
cool m driving buffalo next week for my multiple entry trv with both validated with india info n non validated with canada info so will see what happens..

hope they spare 1 min before accepting my application to see n answer our confusion.

will let u guys know what happen....

kuldeep214

Oct 30, 2010
Hiiii
can some body plsss tell me , what should i attach with this trv form eg. passport, work permit photo copy , photo etc .
I am bit confuse what to attach ???

I already booked my ticket , i am going on 27th nov . plss tell me processing time ???

and how to send this application form ???plss help me ......:(

FELI....

Oct 30, 2010
Hi there,

Pls. anyone can help me to answer my question? In box no.9 of the new application form for trv imm 5257E,what country I should write in the ? which country your applying?, and if I put USA, worker, what date do I need to put???? and besides Im in Canada for more than 2 years and am planning to go for vacation in the Philippines next year....

Any advice or suggestion plsss...... I would really appreciate.

Thanks,
Feli....

Arash Akhgari

Oct 31, 2010
prateek_sikka said:
Hello all,

#7 = india?
#8 = checked NO ?
#9 = USA , Detroit/LA ?

SIr/Madam,

Regards,

If you check the CIC website again, they have uploaded a new version of the form.

cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/5257.asp

in the new form they have added Canada into the pop-op list.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
I think CIC people are reading the forums too, and they might have read that the design of the form is causing sooooo much confusion among applicants for TRV :)

Arash Akhgari said:
If you check the CIC website again, they have uploaded a new version of the form.

cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/5257.asp

in the new form they have added Canada into the pop-op list.