+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about job opportunities/immigration in Quebec

bakelmion

Oct 21, 2021
Hi, I'm a 21 y/o software engineer and I want to move to Canada for masters I'm specially interested in Montreal which seems to me has the balance of affordability and opportunities. I am well aware of the brutal winters and the need for learning French to assimilate and I'm willing to do that. The Quebec immigration program seems quite slow compared to Express Entry and they continue to pass legislation that seems to add more hurdles to immigrating there should you think I should target Quebec at all? or I should be more pragmatic and settle outside Quebec eg. BC and come back in later as a citizen? Also how's the tech scene in Montreal ? from what I've read it's doing good but any insights are appreciated. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I'm a 21 y/o software engineer and I want to move to Canada for masters I'm specially interested in Montreal which seems to me has the balance of affordability and opportunities. I am well aware of the brutal winters and the need for learning French to assimilate and I'm willing to do that. The Quebec immigration program seems quite slow compared to Express Entry and they continue to pass legislation that seems to add more hurdles to immigrating there should you think I should target Quebec at all? or I should be more pragmatic and settle outside Quebec eg. BC and come back in later as a citizen? Also how's the tech scene in Montreal ? from what I've read it's doing good but any insights are appreciated. Thank you.
The Quebec immigration program is terrible and people have had very bad experiences with application cancellations and extremely slow processing. Additionally, IMO it's a bad plan to come to Quebec if you aren't already fluent in French. You will find it much harder to find part time work during your studies and this will then create a barrier to immigrating (and barriers to finding jobs once you complete your degree). You also will not qualify to apply for PR through programs like Express Entry / FSW / CEC which are open to all other provinces (or it will be much more difficult to do so).

I would personally stay far far away from Quebec. Pick any other province.

The tech scene is fine in Montreal if you are fluent in French. Otherwise you will face barriers.

J_ames

Mar 24, 2021
If you are okay with long waiting, terribly organized immigration system and discrimination against English, you can try, Otherwise, Don't move to quebec unless you have at least PR.

bakelmion

Oct 21, 2021
Hi, I'm a 21 y/o software engineer and I want to move to Canada for masters I'm specially interested in Montreal which seems to me has the balance of affordability and opportunities. I am well aware of the brutal winters and the need for learning French to assimilate and I'm willing to do that. The Quebec immigration program seems quite slow compared to Express Entry and they continue to pass legislation tweakbox that seems to add more hurdles to immigrating there should you think I should target Quebec at all? or I should be more pragmatic and settle outside Quebe tutuapp c eg. BC and come back in later as a citizen? Also how's the tech scene in Montreal ? from what I've read it's doing good but any insights are appreciated. Thank you.
issue got solved

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
DO NOT COME TO QUEBEC.

I am an AI engineer and have moved here in 2018. My life has been hell since moving here: human mistakes in immigration processes, discrimination, issues finding job despite being overqualified.
3 years later, I ended up building my own company instead of begging for a job from people with less credentials/experience than me. I have still not even applied to PR because CSQ and any other process takes forever.

Move to Ontario. Opportunities will be better for you in everything. It will be more expensive, but getting your PR in 6 months is worth more 5 years of health/uncertainty waiting for PR in QC and dealing with their stupid bureaucrats, (while paying quebec taxes, which are higher than ON...)