+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about first time Canadian Passport application

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
Hello All,

I hope you are all doing well and are safe (also Happy New Year...)
Below are some questions (lengthy) that I have as I am going to apply for my Canadian Passport for the first time after getting my Canadian Citizenship (right before the whole covid19 delays occurred)

Some of the questions may appear silly or from lack of 'common sense' so I apologize before hand.

Questions:

1- It is going to be almost a year since I received my Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (oath ceremony etc.) Due to the whole covid19 pandemic and some personal transitions etc, I have put off applying for the Canadian Passport until now. Will that be an issue? Is there a timeline requirement that one must apply for Canadian Passport within X number of days upon receiving their Certificate of Canadian Citizenship?

2- The correct form for the first time Canadian Passport application is 'PPTC 153', correct?

3- Can this form be filled by Pen using Black ink?

4- Does this form generate some sort of barcode upon completion ?

5- Is the Certificate of Canadian Citizenship the only document required for 'Proof of Citizenship Document [Section 4 A and B of the PPTC 153]

6- For the documents to support identity, submitting copy of both sides of the ID on one side of a document and having the Guarantor sign only once should suffice right? even if there is 2 sides of the ID?

7- For 'Additional Personal Information' [Section 7]:
a)- 'Addresses in the last two (2) years': How do you indicate one of the addresses is the current home address and the year before is a different one? Do you need to list the current home address in this section or just previous ones?
b)- 'Occupation in the last two (2) years (check all that apply)' : How do you indicate that you are presently unemployed (6 months)
- How do you fill out the 'Address' and 'Telephone' if the previous employer no longer exists (closed down)? Do you provide the last known information even if this information may no longer be valid?
- What is the Date Format that should be used here [Section 7 B] ? Will 'YYYY-MM' suffice just like for Section 7 A

8- What will be the mailing address if the mail is by Canada Post XpressPost? Will it be the 'By courier' address?

Again, I sincerely apologize for the lengthy questions. I hope the answers to these questions may also help future Canadian Passport applicants.

These are trying times and things can be difficult, I hope that you all are safe and all the best.

Cheers

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello All,

I hope you are all doing well and are safe (also Happy New Year...)
Below are some questions (lengthy) that I have as I am going to apply for my Canadian Passport for the first time after getting my Canadian Citizenship (right before the whole covid19 delays occurred)

Some of the questions may appear silly or from lack of 'common sense' so I apologize before hand.

Questions:

1- It is going to be almost a year since I received my Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (oath ceremony etc.) Due to the whole covid19 pandemic and some personal transitions etc, I have put off applying for the Canadian Passport until now. Will that be an issue? Is there a timeline requirement that one must apply for Canadian Passport within X number of days upon receiving their Certificate of Canadian Citizenship?

No, I don't think this will be an issue.

2- The correct form for the first time Canadian Passport application is 'PPTC 153', correct?

Yup. "Complete the Adult General Passport Application form (PPTC 153) (PDF, 421.64KB) "

3- Can this form be filled by Pen using Black ink?

I don't see why that would be an issue. But isn't it easier to fill it electronically?

4- Does this form generate some sort of barcode upon completion ?

I see a QR code on the top. I am not sure if a bar code will be generated.

5- Is the Certificate of Canadian Citizenship the only document required for 'Proof of Citizenship Document [Section 4 A and B of the PPTC 153]

Nope. All the documents that you need is mentioned here

6- For the documents to support identity, submitting copy of both sides of the ID on one side of a document and having the Guarantor sign only once should suffice right? even if there is 2 sides of the ID?

"If you submit photocopies, copy both sides of the document. A guarantor must sign and date each side." Here's the link .

7- For 'Additional Personal Information' [Section 7]:
a)- 'Addresses in the last two (2) years': How do you indicate one of the addresses is the current home address and the year before is a different one? Do you need to list the current home address in this section or just previous ones?

Huh? If you have lived in any other address than the current address in the last 2 years, select 'Different from current home address' and proceed to enter the different address. I don't think you have to repeat your current home address in this section.

b)- 'Occupation in the last two (2) years (check all that apply)' : How do you indicate that you are presently unemployed (6 months)

Well, all options for this section are checkboxes and you can check all that apply. Just say 'N/A' for employer, enter the address where you reside when you are unemployed, and write unemployed in 'field of employment or studies' and enter the dates you are unemployed. For the 'To' date, just write the word 'Present' as clearly mentioned on the form.

- How do you fill out the 'Address' and 'Telephone' if the previous employer no longer exists (closed down)? Do you provide the last known information even if this information may no longer be valid?

Yeah, the last known information should suffice. I mean, you can't provide anything further than that.

- What is the Date Format that should be used here [Section 7 B] ? Will 'YYYY-MM' suffice just like for Section 7 A

If you hover over the date fields, it shows the format. YYYY-MM.

8- What will be the mailing address if the mail is by Canada Post XpressPost? Will it be the 'By courier' address?

Guess this would be the courier address. Not very sure about this.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the lengthy questions. I hope the answers to these questions may also help future Canadian Passport applicants.

These are trying times and things can be difficult, I hope that you all are safe and all the best.

Cheers