+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QUESTION!

septembergirl

Sep 24, 2018
HELLO! I am a Canadian citizen, and i am sponsoring my husband ,I was just wondering if in the application I should have to state if I was on EI matt. leave during the 5 years of employment history? I didn't think to put it as I thought it wasn't included as employment and simply put unemployed during that time. so would that become an issue for me? I have already submitted my application so should I be worried? And do they even look into past EI claims for the sponsor?

thank you in advance for any insight on this!:)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Should be fine. You could have specified mat leave but their is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship. You only have to show that you can support yourselves without government help.

septembergirl

Sep 24, 2018
Should be fine. You could have specified mat leave but their is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship. You only have to show that you can support yourselves without government help.

Do you know if they look into past EI claims during the application process? say I was on matt leave EI or what not 2 year prior?

Thank you so much for your help!:)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you know if they look into past EI claims during the application process? say I was on matt leave EI or what not 2 year prior?

Thank you so much for your help!:)
Most immigration officers can figure out that you were at home with your child given the dates. As long as you have the savings to support yourselves and/or employment it won't be an issue.