+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question while using the physical presence calculator

evinecz

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
Hi, quick question.

for absences outside of Canada, Do i need to include the day i left Canada and came back on the same day to become a PR?

I walked rainbow bridge and back to become a PR

prontissimo

Star Member
May 11, 2014
Agreed, I did the same.

Hi

I have a similar case. I applied for a new work permit before the expiry of current one. I got the new permit 1.5 months after the expiry date of the old one. I had an implied status of temp worker for 1.5 month. I believe as it’s implied status and cic understand the rule we are not required to create a new specific entry for that 1.5 month. I can simply consider that 1.5 month as a part of the total time as temp worker.

Kindly share your thoughts.

prontissimo

Star Member
May 11, 2014
Yes, day trips must be reported, but the number of days of absence would be zero in your case.

Hi, quick question.

for absences outside of Canada, Do i need to include the day i left Canada and came back on the same day to become a PR?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Lets say you became pr on august 1,2015 and your work permit was valid till july 2017. Would you put july 31,2015 as last day as worker or august 1,2015. On august 1, 2015 u did landing and became pr.
I became a PR on March 31st, so I listed WP to be valid till March 30th because the calculator mentioned

"Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between 2012-10-11 and 2014-03-30 and select Add Entry"

Reactions: prontissimo

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi, quick question.

I mentioned it. because there is a stamp from Canada on my Passport from the day I flagpoled and became a PR. When they will go through our passports during the interview, its better to have a record of it on the residency calculation print-out.

Olkina

Feb 17, 2019
Hi all,

I have few questions:
1. I received my student visa in May 2012, but I entered Canada in August 2012. So, when did I actually acquired temorary resident status in Canada? The day I got the visa or the day I physically entered Canada?

2. I got my off-campus work permit while I still was a student. Should I show this work permit as a separate entry?

3. When I list all my trips outside Canada, should I show the destination City/address? Or coutry of destination is enough?

Thank you!

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Here is what I think, other members feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
@Olkina
1. Your temporary status as a student starts from the day you are physically in Canada.
2. I am not sure what off-campus work permit are you referring to. I do not think you should list off-campus work permit while you were still a student since your main status was student. UNLESS this is a post-graduate work permit, then you are considered as a temporary worker, not student anymore.
3. Country of destination is enough.

All in all, every single trips (including day trips) should be listed in the date calculator.
All statuses should be bracketed within the eligibility period (i.e. if you are on work permit starting from Feb 12, 2012 and the eligibility period starts from Mar 01, 2012 then list Mar 01, 2012 in the table.

Reactions: Olkina

Olkina

Feb 17, 2019
Here is what I think, other members feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
@Olkina
1. Your temporary status as a student starts from the day you are physically in Canada.
2. I am not sure what off-campus work permit are you referring to. I do not think you should list off-campus work permit while you were still a student since your main status was student. UNLESS this is a post-graduate work permit, then you are considered as a temporary worker, not student anymore.
3. Country of destination is enough.

All in all, every single trips (including day trips) should be listed in the date calculator.
All statuses should be bracketed within the eligibility period (i.e. if you are on work permit starting from Feb 12, 2012 and the eligibility period starts from Mar 01, 2012 then list Mar 01, 2012 in the table.
Thank you very much for your response! It is very helpful!