+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question to my fellow dual citizens

Moeezy

Oct 20, 2017
Hello guys,

I am a new Moroccan/Canadian dual citizen and while crossing the USA border by car last weekend the border agent - after looking at my Canadian passport - asked if I had my Moroccan passport with me, I told him that it was in my bag in the trunk. He then asked me to get it and show it to him. After looking through it he handed me both my passports back and let me go through.

Is this standard procedure? What would have happened if I didn't have both passports? Am I expected to carry both passports everywhere I travel?

Any information is helpful!

Thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hello guys,

I am a new Moroccan/Canadian dual citizen and while crossing the USA border by car last weekend the border agent - after looking at my Canadian passport - asked if I had my Moroccan passport with me, I told him that it was in my bag in the trunk. He then asked me to get it and show it to him. After looking through it he handed me both my passports back and let me go through.

Is this standard procedure? What would have happened if I didn't have both passports? Am I expected to carry both passports everywhere I travel?

Any information is helpful!

Thanks
It is possible that since you are newly Canadian, there is no travel history associated with the Canadian Passport and they wanted to see all your prior travels before becoming Canadian. So your Moroccan Passport would help provide them the answers they are looking for. As for requiring to have your Moroccan passport with you every time you go to US, I cannot say one way or another.

Reactions: Moeezy

fsarosh

Aug 9, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Year 2010
Med's Request
28-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-05-2013
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-01-2014
I would recommend you to always carry both of your passports. Its not a problem if they checked it but not carrying it can be a problem for you.

Reactions: Moeezy

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
The only reason I can think of why border agent wanted his Moroccan Passport is if the OP has never applied for a US visa as PR. With the new Canadian Passport, no visa is required, but there is no travel history associated with it. My spouse has entered US with a visa as PR and thus more likely that the US border agent won't ask for her native passport since they have all the information they need when she will enter US with a Canadian passport next time.

I wouldn't be surprised if US border agents will begin to ask for native passports from new Canadians that are from countries that have next to no chance to get a US visa in the first place, including those from countries on the banned visa list.

Last edited:

Moeezy

Oct 20, 2017
The only reason I can think of why border agent wanted his Moroccan Passport is if the OP has never applied for a US visa as PR. With the new Canadian Passport, no visa is required, but there is no travel history associated with it. My spouse has entered US with a visa as PR and thus more likely that the US border agent won't ask for her native passport since they have all the information they need when she entered US with a Canadian passport next time.

I wouldn't be surprised if US border agents will begin to ask for native passports from new Canadians that are from countries that have next to no chance to get a US visa in the first place, including those from countries on the banned visa list.
I think your initial response is the more accurate possibility. My Moroccan passport has multiple visas (Europe, Japan and USA 10 Years) as I have been to the US Multiple times. The most recent trip being last summer. Which does explain why the agent took one quick look at the passport and handed me both back and let me through.

I think the reason he asked was because of his line of questioning:

Agent : Where are you coming from?
Me : Montreal
Agent: Where are you going?
Me : NYC
Agent : I see you were born in Morocco How long have you lived in Canada?
Me : 8 years
Agent : When's the last time you've been back in Morocco?
Me : a couple of months ago
Agent : - looks through a blank Canadian passport - Do you have your Moroccan passport?
Me : Yes, It's in my backpack in the trunk
Agent : I need you to get it for me...

Basically I said my most recent trip was recent, but my passport has no information on it.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I think your initial response is the more accurate possibility. My Moroccan passport has multiple visas (Europe, Japan and USA 10 Years) as I have been to the US Multiple times. The most recent trip being last summer. Which does explain why the agent took one quick look at the passport and handed me both back and let me through.

I think the reason he asked was because of his line of questioning:

Agent : Where are you coming from?
Me : Montreal
Agent: Where are you going?
Me : NYC
Agent : I see you were born in Morocco How long have you lived in Canada?
Me : 8 years
Agent : When's the last time you've been back in Morocco?
Me : a couple of months ago
Agent : - looks through a blank Canadian passport - Do you have your Moroccan passport?
Me : Yes, It's in my backpack in the trunk
Agent : I need you to get it for me...

Basically I said my most recent trip was recent, but my passport has no information on it.
This seems valid reasoning. If you were back in Morocco using a Canadian passport, it would likely have an entry stamp. The agent saw no entry stamp in your Canadian passport thus wanted your other passport to verify your statement.