+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question regarding work experience.

binshuo20

May 4, 2016
Say I worked at company A for 15 months, B for 16 month, C for 5 months, do I have 3 years work experience according to the EE criteria?

daredevil88

Jun 16, 2016
Hi All

Please help with my below question regarding Canadian work experience.
I am in Intra company transfer visa and have worked full time for around 2.5 years.
I am being paid for 40 hrs a week.
I have completed around 4700 hrs of full time work and has been paid.
So will i be counted as 3 yrs Canadian experience (1560 hrs per yr) or will it be 2 years work exp.

Secondly, my wife has open work permit and has a part time employment.
But she has worked more than 1560 hrs in one year and has been paid for that.
Just want to check if
1. Part time employment is considered as work experience for my spouse and can i get points for that under the express entry scheme.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

artray

Jan 19, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 Feb
AOR Received.
24 Feb
Med's Done....
22 Feb
Passport Req..
14 June
VISA ISSUED...
23 June
LANDED..........
11 Jan
daredevil88 said:
Hi All

I am in Intra company transfer visa and have worked full time for around 2.5 years.
So will i be counted as 3 yrs Canadian experience (1560 hrs per yr) or will it be 2 years work exp.

Just want to check if
1. Part time employment is considered as work experience for my spouse and can i get points for that under the express entry scheme.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Details are in below link, calculate accordingly based on which category you are applying for:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/definitions.asp?letterNum=6

artray

Jan 19, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 Feb
AOR Received.
24 Feb
Med's Done....
22 Feb
Passport Req..
14 June
VISA ISSUED...
23 June
LANDED..........
11 Jan
binshuo20 said:
Say I worked at company A for 15 months, B for 16 month, C for 5 months, do I have 3 years work experience according to the EE criteria?
Depends on if it is continuous - refer to above link to calculate.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
daredevil88 said:

You only get credit for complete years, and if it is full-time, you don't count hours. You will get credit for 2 years.

Regardless of whether her employer considers it part-time or full-time, you have to go by CIC's definition. Part-time work is fewer than 30 hours per week; full-time is 30 hours or more per week. So of she has more than 1560 hours in one year, then she does not meet CIC's definition of "part-time " - by definition, part-time work will take longer than one year to acquire 1560 hours.

If she works variable hours (one week fewer than 30 hours per week (part-time), one week 30 hours or more (full-time), and she wants to count hours, she can count a MAXIMUM of 30 hours per week. Then she can add up the hours and divide by 30, that will tell you the number of "full time equivalent" weeks she has worked. She will need a total of 52 weeks.

Just want to check if

Yes, part-time work "counts" but you have to correctly calculate the full-time equivalent to make sure you are awarded the correct amount of points. If not - when the VO gets your application and recalculates it correctly, your score could be lowered, and you could lose your eligibility and be refused.

binshuo20

May 4, 2016
artray said:
Depends on if it is continuous - refer to above link to calculate.
I work as a full time software engineer at three different companies. I've heard from some people that every single job should last for more than one year by the standard of the Express Entry. Next month I'll be having 3 years experience in total, but I'm afraid I couldn't get extra points for this.

artray

Jan 19, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 Feb
AOR Received.
24 Feb
Med's Done....
22 Feb
Passport Req..
14 June
VISA ISSUED...
23 June
LANDED..........
11 Jan
binshuo20 said:
I work as a full time software engineer at three different companies. I've heard from some people that every single job should last for more than one year by the standard of the Express Entry. Next month I'll be having 3 years experience in total, but I'm afraid I couldn't get extra points for this.

There is no rule that you have to have a minimum of 1 full year of work experience from each employer for it to count. You do need 1 year minimum full-time work experience to apply as a CEC and 2 years work experience to apply as an FSW. If you need to improve your score for your work experience, then just update your profile with the relevant information/document. However, 2 to 3 years is equivalent to the same number of points. Can't give you further details without more info - like what category are you applying for, do you already have an ITA, etc? Check below links:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-work-experience.html

binshuo20

May 4, 2016
artray said:
There is no rule that you have to have a minimum of 1 full year of work experience from each employer for it to count. You do need 1 year minimum full-time work experience to apply as a CEC and 2 years work experience to apply as an FSW. If you need to improve your score for your work experience, then just update your profile with the relevant information/document. However, 2 to 3 years is equivalent to the same number of points. Can't give you further details without more info - like what category are you applying for, do you already have an ITA, etc? Check below links:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-work-experience.html
I'm applying for NOC 2174, Computer Programmer. I'm not worried about the FSW bar, which gives 2-3 years work experience the same points. The CRS, on the other hand, will give me 25 more points if I have 3 years work experience. I'm currently sitting at 447, hoping to get bumped to 472 next month when I got 3 years experience. I've only worked at the current company for 3 month, and that's the main thing I'm concerned about. Do I have to work at the same company for more than a certain period?

artray

Jan 19, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 Feb
AOR Received.
24 Feb
Med's Done....
22 Feb
Passport Req..
14 June
VISA ISSUED...
23 June
LANDED..........
11 Jan
binshuo20 said:
I'm applying for NOC 2174, Computer Programmer. I'm not worried about the FSW bar, which gives 2-3 years work experience the same points. The CRS, on the other hand, will give me 25 more points if I have 3 years work experience. I'm currently sitting at 447, hoping to get bumped to 472 next month when I got 3 years experience. I've only worked at the current company for 3 month, and that's the main thing I'm concerned about. Do I have to work at the same company for more than a certain period?
No, you don't - as long as your work is considered continuous full-time work, it will count regardless of whether you've been there only for three months.

binshuo20

May 4, 2016
artray said:
No, you don't - as long as your work is considered continuous full-time work, it will count regardless of whether you've been there only for three months.
That' reassuring, thanks man. :D