+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding work experience and reference letter

wkds777

Apr 22, 2018
Hello everyone, I started working in Canada on May 15th 2017 and will soon be at the 12 month work requirement for express entry. I have completed the 1560 hours, I just need another month of work. My questions are:

1. Will I fulfil the requirement if I work until May 1st, or must I work until the 15th? I am only asking this because something has come up and there is a slight chance that I may not be able to work until mid-May

2. Since I have completed the 1560 hour requirement, is it okay if I work less hours for the remainder of the 12 month period?

3. My last question is a bit different as it relates to reference letters. I've read online that a reference letter from my employer is required in order to show proof of my 12 months of work. I've read that it must include a letterhead and all, however I work at a relatively small restaurant chain and I am not sure if they have official letters with "letterheads". How should I ask my employer to write the reference letter in order for it to be accepted by CICs standards?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
I think your hours are fine, since you've completed the requirement. I am in the same situation regarding the reference letter... Is it okay to just have the employer to write a letter and add pay stubs as proof?

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
Hello everyone, I started working in Canada on May 15th 2017 and will soon be at the 12 month work requirement for express entry. I have completed the 1560 hours, I just need another month of work. My questions are:

1. Will I fulfil the requirement if I work until May 1st, or must I work until the 15th? I am only asking this because something has come up and there is a slight chance that I may not be able to work until mid-May

2. Since I have completed the 1560 hour requirement, is it okay if I work less hours for the remainder of the 12 month period?

3. My last question is a bit different as it relates to reference letters. I've read online that a reference letter from my employer is required in order to show proof of my 12 months of work. I've read that it must include a letterhead and all, however I work at a relatively small restaurant chain and I am not sure if they have official letters with "letterheads". How should I ask my employer to write the reference letter in order for it to be accepted by CICs standards?

Thank you very much.
You can probably then add in a business card with your superior's name on it...Anything to proof the existence of the business. Maybe even a picture of the business registration if you boss is kind enough to share.

Good luck.