+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question Regarding Spouse when Applying for CEC

bhagat.ali

Jul 23, 2010
Hi,

My spouse and I both have been working in Canada for the past 12 months. We are now planning to apply for a CEC as we both meet the criteria for CEC. If I send an application with me as the "Primary Applicant" and marking my spouse on the application what happens if and when I get the PR? Can my wife work without a WP when I get my PR or will I have to sponsor her PR after I get my PR? Both our WP's are currently valid for a couple more years.

I also had a question about the IELTS. Do we both have to appear for the IELTS because we are both working and both individually eligible for a CEC?

Finally, how important is the police report. We dont have any conviction but we have stayed in 3-4 countries since we were 18 so getting the reports would be a real hassle!!

Thanks.

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
If you are the 'primary applicant' and your wife 'dependant' in your PR application, your wife will not need a WP after your PR. She will also get the PR status and therefore, work. No need for sponsorship as well.
Only 'primary applicant' needs to appear for IELTS and score the required.
Although a hassle, Police Certificate is mandatory. You can submit your application without police certificates but have to submit the same once CIC asks for it.

bhagat.ali

Jul 23, 2010
Thanks Andy. Appreciate your quick response. How about the medical exam. I dont have to take that when applying right? That comes later doesn't it?

One other question. I am appearing for my IELTS exam at "Global Village Centre" in Toronto. There is no issue with this centre being accepted right? I was a little confused when i read on the CDC site that only the following are accepted:

English (IELTS)

University of Cambridge, ESOL
IDP Australia, and
The British Council

Thanks again!

ioanag

Star Member
Jun 22, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07- 19-2012
Doc's Request.
06-19-2013 (police clearance for spouse)
AOR Received.
08-16- 2012
File Transfer...
08 -16- 2012
Med's Request
04-20-2013
Med's Done....
04- 24 -2013
Passport Req..
15-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
bhagat.ali said:
Hi,

My spouse and I both have been working in Canada for the past 12 months. We are now planning to apply for a CEC as we both meet the criteria for CEC. If I send an application with me as the "Primary Applicant" and marking my spouse on the application what happens if and when I get the PR? Can my wife work without a WP when I get my PR or will I have to sponsor her PR after I get my PR? Both our WP's are currently valid for a couple more years.

I also had a question about the IELTS. Do we both have to appear for the IELTS because we are both working and both individually eligible for a CEC?

Finally, how important is the police report. We dont have any conviction but we have stayed in 3-4 countries since we were 18 so getting the reports would be a real hassle!!

Thanks.
If you send the application as you being the principal applicant, and if your application for CEC passes the eligibility and gets approved then your spouse will automatically get Permanent Resident status as well. (No need to sponsor her)
Also only the principal applicant needs the IELTS exam (make sure the IELTS score meets the language requirements for the NOC category you apply in)
The police records are important but not mandatory to be sent with the application however in the majority of cases I've read about, cic requested later these documents when they started processing the application, and usually they give you a specific time frame to send them to cic. I recommend you include your police records in your application when you submit it.
Very important for the principal applicant is to provide the reference letter from the employer stating the job duties, salary....etc ( read all the letter requirements on the cic website) if you are unable to get the letter your wife may choose to be the principal applicant if she meets the criteria for CEC (IELTS score, NOC code, working hours, letter from employer, and all the other supporting documents required)
Good luck!

ioanag

Star Member
Jun 22, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07- 19-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
08-16- 2012
File Transfer...
08 -16- 2012
Med's Request
04-20-2013
Med's Done....
04- 24 -2013
Passport Req..
15-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
bhagat.ali said:
Thanks Andy. Appreciate your quick response. How about the medical exam. I dont have to take that when applying right? That comes later doesn't it?

One other question. I am appearing for my IELTS exam at "Global Village Centre" in Toronto. There is no issue with this centre being accepted right? I was a little confused when i read on the CDC site that only the following are accepted:

English (IELTS)

University of Cambridge, ESOL
IDP Australia, and
The British Council

Thanks again!
Any institution is good as long you take the GENERAL IELTS exam ( not the academic)

You complete your medical exam when requested by cic.

bhagat.ali

Jul 23, 2010
Thanks ioanag. I should be able to get the recommendation letter from my employer. Should I get one from my spouse employer and attach that too. Will that improve the chances? Any Idea?

The police records are mandatory for both me and my spouse, right? I have a son who is 2 year old. I believe I dont need a police record for him. Do I?

ioanag

Star Member
Jun 22, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07- 19-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
08-16- 2012
File Transfer...
08 -16- 2012
Med's Request
04-20-2013
Med's Done....
04- 24 -2013
Passport Req..
15-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
The letter from employer is needed only for the principal applicant.
Police clearance is needed for anyone included in the application age 18 or older. :)