+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding spouse OWP

assbutt

Jul 25, 2018
Hello,

I will try to keep this as short as possible while maintaining reasonable levels of relevant information.

My current situation:
  • Entered Canada in Sep 2018 with a study-work permit which ends at the end of Nov 2019.
  • Studied at U of T, finished all academic courses in May 2019 and started co-op internship at a company until end of Aug 2018 (this is also part of the program), NOC type 0.
  • Received a full time offer at the same company, commencing in Sep 2019, right after the internship ends.
  • Based on that I will be applying for either OWP or PGWP.

Now my spouse:
  • We met in spring 2018, after I applied to study in Canada.
  • Got married during winter holidays of 2018-2019, when I was traveling back home.
  • Spouse has been working in the industry for 4 years and has a NOC type 0 job.
  • We recently applied for her OWP.
  • I love her to bits and am DYING to see her.

What my spouse has attached to the application:
  • All the forms needed.
  • Short client information stating her purpose of applying to OWP (i.e. to support me and be with me until the end of my permit).
  • Marriage certificate as proof of relationship.
  • Job reference letter.
  • Property ownership evidence.
  • Bank statement with past 6 months history.
  • University diplomas.

What I have attached to spouse's application.
  • University acceptance letter.
  • My study and work permits.
  • Current employment verification at the company, which lists me as a student, implying internship (i.e. no mention of the full time offer as I didn't have any documents to support that at the time).
  • Current bank statement.
  • Recent payslips.
  • A reference letter from myself with a little bit of details of our relationship (i.e. how we met, when we got married etc.).

My questions and concerns are:
  1. There is marginally above 4 months left until the end of my current permit. Would that be a decisive factor for the officer? I have called IRCC and talked to a few agents, and most of them stated that it shouldn't (some were unsure), but I would also like to hear your thoughts or maybe personal experience.
  2. Based on the information provided above (I know it's not much, but still) what would the weak points of this application be?
  3. Open work permit processing time is currently listed as 6-7 weeks on the government website. But I frequently see numbers like 60 and 90 days when browsing the forums. Which one of these is the correct estimate?

Thank you in advance to anyone responding.

Regards.