nope
Passport Req..
jan 2012 along with medicals
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
nov 16 2012 :D
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to get married next year and we're trying to build a timeline of events. I am a Canadian citizen and my wife is US citizen. After getting married, she'll be here as a visitor. My question is regarding applying for PR and open work permit

Can both applications be sent at the same time in same envelope? Is it better to mail in PR application and apply for work permit online?

What is the wait time to get work permit? Also, do you have to wait until you get AOR for PR application to apply for work permit?

Thank you

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You should send both applications in the same envelope. If you do that, she will get the work permit roughly 4 months after you applied.

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
You should send both applications in the same envelope. If you do that, she will get the work permit roughly 4 months after you applied.

That’s what I found on CIC website too. If she were to apply for work permit separately online, would the process be faster? I see processing times around 4-8 weeks. I’m okay with waiting for PR but we sort of need the work permit as soon as possible.

The reason is that she is in a medical profession and needs to register with provincial bodies and take qualifying exams here by a certain date.

If she has to wait four months, she’ll basically delay the whole thing by one year .

Anyone?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
That’s what I found on CIC website too. If she were to apply for work permit separately online, would the process be faster? I see processing times around 4-8 weeks. I’m okay with waiting for PR but we sort of need the work permit as soon as possible.

The reason is that she is in a medical profession and needs to register with provincial bodies and take qualifying exams here by a certain date.

If she has to wait four months, she’ll basically delay the whole thing by one year .

Anyone?
No. This is the fastest way to get it.

She doesn't have any right to a work permit till after you apply for sponsorship. If you don't submit the applications together, you will only delay the work permit, possibly by a whole year.

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
No. This is the fastest way to get it.

She doesn't have any right to a work permit till after you apply for sponsorship. If you don't submit the applications together, you will only delay the work permit, possibly by a whole year.
I see. No way or getting that faster 4-8 weeks processing eh.. Thanks for your help

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I see. No way or getting that faster 4-8 weeks processing eh.. Thanks for your help
Does she need a work permit just to take the exams though? My wife is a lawyer and had to take similar licensing exams, but they didn't ask about her immigration status.

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
Does she need a work permit just to take the exams though? My wife is a lawyer and had to take similar licensing exams, but they didn't ask about her immigration status.
She has to register with college of pharmacists before taking licensure exams and yeah they have it listed in their checklist. I would ask her to email the college and see if they can accommodate.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
She has to register with college of pharmacists before taking licensure exams and yeah they have it listed in their checklist. I would ask her to email the college and see if they can accommodate.
Yeah, then I guess she needs it. She may have to delay it by a year.

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
I just learned about “flagpoling” and applying for work permit at land border. Would that be possible since she is from US, a visa exempt country

Reactions: Krysse

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I just learned about “flagpoling” and applying for work permit at land border. Would that be possible since she is from US, a visa exempt country
You know what, I completely missed that she's a US citizen! Apologies.

Yes, she can flagpole - but you will need to sponsor her through an inland application first, and get the AoR. Once you have the AoR, she can apply for a Open Work Permit at the Port of Entry. The AoR will make her eligible.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply/poe.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
You know what, I completely missed that she's a US citizen! Apologies.

Yes, she can flagpole - but you will need to sponsor her through an inland application first, and get the AoR. Once you have the AoR, she can apply for a Open Work Permit at the Port of Entry. The AoR will make her eligible.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply/poe.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html
Thank you. I’ll look into it a bit more. It looks like AOR takes a couple months and then I could flagpole. Although I’ve been reading that border officers hate it. We might try our luck at the airport

Reactions: Krysse

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. I’ll look into it a bit more. It looks like AOR takes a couple months and then I could flagpole. Although I’ve been reading that border officers hate it. We might try our luck at the airport
Definitely can’t flagpole at the airport only land border. Given the the work permit with inland spousal processing is a pilot program I have my doubts whether it can be done via flagpoling.

Krysse

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
Did this ever work out for you? I'm just wondering because I didn't send my work permit with my PR application, applying under spousal (husband is a citizen) and considering just applying for this instead of a visitor record and study permit for my daughter....

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Did this ever work out for you? I'm just wondering because I didn't send my work permit with my PR application, applying under spousal (husband is a citizen) and considering just applying for this instead of a visitor record and study permit for my daughter....
You can't flagpole for the OWP. You can still send in the OWP app.

Reactions: k.h.p.