+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding sponsoring my American wife

mister_h

Nov 22, 2010
I've read the spousal sponsorship sticky post - it's cleared a bit of confusion that I've been having, but I'm hoping someone will be able to clarify a few things.

I am a Canadian citizen who wants to sponsor my wife, who is an American. Some of my questions that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on:

- As I understand it, Americans do not require a visa to enter Canada. If we apply for sponsorship outland can she still come to Canada and leave any time while the sponshorship is being processed?

- How long is she allowed to stay in Canada while the sponsorship is being processed? Can she come visit me for say 3 months, then go back to the US for a month, and come back again for another visit?

- Is she allowed to apply for a work permit while the sponsorship is being processed?

- From the looks of it, applying outland seems to have more benefits like being able to appeal. Is it also faster?

Thanks very much in advance!

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
mister_h said:
I've read the spousal sponsorship sticky post - it's cleared a bit of confusion that I've been having, but I'm hoping someone will be able to clarify a few things.

I am a Canadian citizen who wants to sponsor my wife, who is an American. Some of my questions that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on:

- As I understand it, Americans do not require a visa to enter Canada. If we apply for sponsorship outland can she still come to Canada and leave any time while the sponshorship is being processed?
That is correct, with one clarification... she has to be able to convince the immigration officers that she is going to leave- so every time she enters she runs the risk of being denied because she may not leave if the visa is denied.

mister_h said:
- How long is she allowed to stay in Canada while the sponsorship is being processed? Can she come visit me for say 3 months, then go back to the US for a month, and come back again for another visit?
6 months without a visitor visa - yes she can come and go, as long as she can gain entry in to Canada. Some US citizens have trouble crossing back and forth and others have no trouble at all. During the PR process some IO's are difficult and others are super easy.

mister_h said:
- Is she allowed to apply for a work permit while the sponsorship is being processed?

- From the looks of it, applying outland seems to have more benefits like being able to appeal. Is it also faster?

Thanks very much in advance!
She can try the normal channels for getting a work visa that a US citizen has but from what I understand work visas are very hard to get.

mister_h

Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for the response.

So basically we can do the sponsorship forms and she can enter/leave/re-enter Canada while it's being processed provided she can convince the border official that she is returning to the US? I assume she must do the police record check in the US. Does the medical get done there as well or can it be done in Canada?

I read somewhere that at some point while the forms are being processed she will be allowed to get health insurance here in Canada. Is that true?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The medical can be done at any DMP in the world. Yes, she must obtain the FBI records check to be submitted with the application. No, without status in Canada, she would be unable to get provincial medical insurance. However, she could obtain travel medical insurance which is an excellent idea if she plans to travel back and forth. Even after she becomes a PR and settles in Canada, she needs to meet the requirements of the medical insurance plan for the province where you will reside. Each one has different rules.

Just some clarification, if she enters Canada, it is up to the officer at the port of entry how long she can stay. They may limit her to less than the 6 month default. She can apply for a work permit if she has found an employer who has received a positive Labour Market Opinion from Service Canada to hire foreign workers.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
mister_h said:
Thanks for the response.

So basically we can do the sponsorship forms and she can enter/leave/re-enter Canada while it's being processed provided she can convince the border official that she is returning to the US? I assume she must do the police record check in the US. Does the medical get done there as well or can it be done in Canada?

I read somewhere that at some point while the forms are being processed she will be allowed to get health insurance here in Canada. Is that true?
She needs the FBI clearance which takes about 12 weeks. She wont need a state police check unless CIC asks for it.

The medical can be done in Canada.

She can purchase health insurance (temporary or travel) - see other threads for information on this. It is unlikely that she will qualify for provincial health insurance.