+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding overlapping of visa permits

Twinkle27

Jan 11, 2016
Hi,

My course starts in September in Toronto and most of my friends' courses start in May. I am awaiting confirmation from the colleges I've applied to and hopefully I should hear positively from there soon.

Once I get my admission letter and I apply for a study visa for my course starting in September 2016,

1. How soon will the study visa permit me to go to Toronto Canada?
2. Can I apply for a tourist visa after getting a student visa (but not landing in Toronto yet) to go to Toronto in May with my friends?
3. If I can do so, will I have to travel back to my home country and reenter as a student on student visa or can I visit the officials in Toronto and change my tourist status to a Student?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Twinkle27 said:
Hi,

My course starts in September in Toronto and most of my friends' courses start in May. I am awaiting confirmation from the colleges I've applied to and hopefully I should hear positively from there soon.

Once I get my admission letter and I apply for a study visa for my course starting in September 2016,

1. How soon will the study visa permit me to go to Toronto Canada?
2. Can I apply for a tourist visa after getting a student visa (but not landing in Toronto yet) to go to Toronto in May with my friends?
3. If I can do so, will I have to travel back to my home country and reenter as a student on student visa or can I visit the officials in Toronto and change my tourist status to a Student?

1. Unofficially, 1 month is recommended. If too early, then it's on VO at POE to decide, he can simply pack your bags back to your land.
2. You will get TRV first and study permit on landing. Tourist visa approval will null & void study permit.

Twinkle27

Jan 11, 2016
Thank you so much for the prompt response :D

I have got admission for the Fall in-take, classes start on Sep. 6, 2016. I am not going in May now, understanding the implications you highlighted. Can I go in July if I show additional funds (for the 2 months) so that I can convince the IO that I am not arriving early to work illegally or anything of that sort? I will be traveling out of my country (India) for the first time and feel I'll need a couple of months to settle down, discover the place, understand the dynamics around me in a foreign land, etc. Would that suffice or do you suggest I just stick to leaving in August to be on the safer side?

Thank you for your help.