Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
App. Filed.......
14-06-2018
AOR Received.
27-07-2018
Hi there, I am always living in Canada and got married not long ago. My husband recently went back to his own country and we are planning to submit family class application now. I just received the marriage certificate and had my last name changed with my driver license.

Question is: Should I use my maiden last name to submit my application? Or should I use my husband last name to submit? I don't know how critical it is for immigration to look at it. Please advise.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there, I am always living in Canada and got married not long ago. My husband recently went back to his own country and we are planning to submit family class application now. I just received the marriage certificate and had my last name changed with my driver license.

Question is: Should I use my maiden last name to submit my application? Or should I use my husband last name to submit? I don't know how critical it is for immigration to look at it. Please advise.
Hi

The guide and forms state for both sponsor and applicant to list their names exactly as they appear in their passports. If you haven't changed your passport to your married name, then use your maiden name in the app.

If you don't have a passport, just use your married name.

Reactions: KBH

Tersa

May 8, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
App. Filed.......
14-06-2018
AOR Received.
27-07-2018
But will that be better if I get my last name changed in my passport to married name now? We were advised that this would be better in terms of them seeing that our relationship is genuine

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But will that be better if I get my last name changed in my passport to married name now? We were advised that this would be better in terms of them seeing that our relationship is genuine
It doesn't matter and in no way makes your relationship more genuine.

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
Whoever advised you that changing your name makes your relationship more genuine is an idiot and you can tell them I said so! I was married for 23 years with 2 children and never changed my name to my ex-husband's name.