+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding dual citizenship

Plokok

May 14, 2015
I am currently a Philippine passport holder and after I become a Canadian citizen, do I automatically become a dual citizen of Philippines and Canada as both countries support dual citizenship? Or is there a process I have to go through to become one?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
moejun said:
not automatic, there is a process
Why would there be a process? Canada doesn't care what other citizenship you have and the OP has Pilipino citizenship. The OP doesn't lose Pilipino once OP gets Canadian citizenship. So unless you know something we don't, I think, as Scylla says, it is automatic.

aeb

Feb 17, 2015
Republic Act 9225, or the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003, was passed into law on 29 August 2003. RA 9225 grants natural born Filipinos who have lost their Filipino citizenship through naturalization in a foreign country the opportunity to retain or reacquire their Filipino citizenship.....

ELIGIBILITY

All natural born Filipinos who have lost their Philippine citizenship due to naturalization as a citizen of another country may file a Petition for Retention and Reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship on their behalf and that of their unmarried minor children.

DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS FOR MAIN PETITIONER

As laid out in the Implementing Rules and Regulations, the requirements for those who wish to reacquire or retain their Filipino citizenship are as follows:

1. Duly-accomplished application form;

2. Three (3) recent 2" x 2" colored photographs of the applicant.

3. Payment of prescribed fee of C$62.50

4. Proof as natural-born Philippine citizen - the original and photocopy of at least one (1) of the following must be submitted:
a. Philippine Birth Certificate;
b. Old Philippine Passport;
c. Voter's Identification Card;
d. Philippine Marriage Certificate; and
e. Other Philippine issued official document(s) indicating that the applicant is a former natural-born

5. Original and photocopy of Canadian or other foreign Passport;

6. Original and photocopy of certificate of naturalization or affidavit stating how foreign citizenship was acquired.

If the applicant is a Bureau of Immigration (BI) registered alien, he shall surrender the original ACR and ICR/CRTV, or in its absence, an affidavit explaining the loss of said documents for transmittal to

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
aeb said:
Republic Act 9225, or the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003, was passed into law on 29 August 2003. RA 9225 grants natural born Filipinos who have lost their Filipino citizenship through naturalization in a foreign country the opportunity to retain or reacquire their Filipino citizenship.....

ELIGIBILITY

All natural born Filipinos who have lost their Philippine citizenship due to naturalization as a citizen of another country may file a Petition for Retention and Reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship on their behalf and that of their unmarried minor children.

DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS FOR MAIN PETITIONER

As laid out in the Implementing Rules and Regulations, the requirements for those who wish to reacquire or retain their Filipino citizenship are as follows:

1. Duly-accomplished application form;

2. Three (3) recent 2" x 2" colored photographs of the applicant.

3. Payment of prescribed fee of C$62.50

4. Proof as natural-born Philippine citizen - the original and photocopy of at least one (1) of the following must be submitted:
a. Philippine Birth Certificate;
b. Old Philippine Passport;
c. Voter's Identification Card;
d. Philippine Marriage Certificate; and
e. Other Philippine issued official document(s) indicating that the applicant is a former natural-born

5. Original and photocopy of Canadian or other foreign Passport;

6. Original and photocopy of certificate of naturalization or affidavit stating how foreign citizenship was acquired.

If the applicant is a Bureau of Immigration (BI) registered alien, he shall surrender the original ACR and ICR/CRTV, or in its absence, an affidavit explaining the loss of said documents for transmittal to
This make sense if the OP has gotten Canadian citizenship prior to 2003. There is a process for those who lost Pilipino citizenship when he/she gains foreign citizenship prior to 2003 to regain Pilipino citizenship. But in OP's case, the OP is getting Canadian citizenship in 2015, 12 years later after the law change.

aeb

Feb 17, 2015
The law does not say anything about prior 2003.....

The "2003" on the Republic Act 9225, or the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003 means that this bill was passed by Philippine Congress and was made into a law on 2003.... it means that 2003 onwards... all Filipinos who gained a foreign citizenship may apply, if he wishes, in order for him to retain his being Filipino, thus having dual citizenship......if not, he remains Canadian and not Filipino.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
aeb said:
The law does not say anything about prior 2003.....

The "2003" on the Republic Act 9225, or the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003 means that this bill was passed by Philippine Congress and was made into a law on 2003.... it means that 2003 onwards... all Filipinos who gained a foreign citizenship may apply, if he wishes, in order for him to retain his being Filipino, thus having dual citizenship......if not, he remains Canadian and not Filipino.
Basically, prior to the 2003 law, Filipinos lost their native citizenship when they acquire new citizenship. Now with new 2003 law, all Filipinos can apply to regain their citizenship if they lost it before 2003 law change. In OP's case, they are getting Canadian citizenship long past the 2003 new law, 12 years later. They will never lose their native citizenship when they get their Canadian citizenship now. Thus in OP's case, it is AUTOMATIC dual and it is still automatic dual citizenship for anyone who acquired new foreign citizenship since 2003 law change.

There was a process for those who gained foreign citizenship prior 2003 law change to apply to get it back. Since 2003 new law change, dual citizenship is automatic for those who acquired new citizenship after the law change as is the case of OP's post.

aeb

Feb 17, 2015
Plokok.... di yata alam ng taong 'to ang pinagssabi nya, pareho tayong Pinoy, and pinag-iisipan ko rin kung mag du-dual ako or indi, pinatanong ko na sa relative ko dun sa atin, ang sabi sa DFA, kalingan daw nating mag apply.....

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
aeb said:
Plokok.... di yata alam ng taong 'to ang pinagssabi nya, pareho tayong Pinoy, and pinag-iisipan ko rin kung mag du-dual ako or indi, pinatanong ko na sa relative ko dun sa atin, ang sabi sa DFA, kalingan daw nating mag apply.....
My answer to the OP still stands. Automatic dual citizenship unless the OP gain Canadian citizenship prior to 2003 law which is not the case since the OP said "I am a Philippine passport holder" = Canadian PR and "After I become Canadian" = I am not Canadian but I will be.

I find it very rude of you to post message in Filipino. If you wanted to write Filipino to the OP, write a PM to him/her directly.

3hm

Star Member
Dec 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looking closer to the said Act it states:
"Natural born citizens of the Philippines who, after the effectivity of this Act, become citizens of a foreign country shall retain their Philippine citizenship upon taking the aforesaid oath"

So there is a process to be done to reacquire and not automatic.

See link below.
http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2003/ra_9225_2003.html

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
3hm said:
"Natural born citizens of the Philippines who, after the effectivity of this Act, become citizens of a foreign country shall retain their Philippine citizenship upon taking the aforesaid oath"

See link below.
I agree. There is a process for those who want their Filipino citizenship back. But in OP's case, it automatic since the OP hasn't acquired Canadian citizenship before 2003. So there is NO process for OP to do since OP will automatically be dual. Plain and simple.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
3hm said:

See link below.
It looks to me like moejun, aeb, and 3hm are correct. The Act is not only for "reacquisition," but also for "retention." This phrase is quite clear: "Natural born citizens of the Philippines who, after the effectivity of this Act, become citizens of a foreign country shall retain their Philippine citizenship upon taking the aforesaid oath." The word "become" refers to events in the future. Otherwise, it would be "became."

In addition, I see that consulates have a "Petition for Dual Citizenship" form that must be completed, after which an oath is given: http://www.chicagopcg.com/dual-faq.html#dual2

Contact your local embassy or consulate for more information.

moejun

Apr 26, 2015
sorry for the very short answer yesterday but no, it is not automatic and there is a process as outlined by the other poster above. i should know this as my friend had to undergo said process recently.

there is no argument here as the process is quite clear.