+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding dependent

CANCEL

Mar 1, 2010
I have 2 dependents below 18yrs of age when i submitted my application for permanent resident.Now my eldest is 21yrs old and she graduated from college last october.My question is,Will she be still going to continue her studies?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CANCEL said:
I have 2 dependents below 18yrs of age when i submitted my application for permanent resident.Now my eldest is 21yrs old and she graduated from college last october.My question is,Will she be still going to continue her studies?
If you're asking whether she needs to continue her studies in order to remain your dependent, the answer is no. Her age was locked in at the time you submitted the application.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
double check with CIC just to be in safe side because as of january next year the minimum age for kids to be considered dependents under permanent residence applications is changing.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canadavisa13 said:
double check with CIC just to be in safe side because as of january next year the minimum age for kids to be considered dependents under permanent residence applications is changing.
Again, age is locked in at the time of the application. The new rule does not affect applications that have already been submitted.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
agree but there is always a grey area for including dependents in PR application unless the application is approved and finalized the visa officer can always ask for proof that the dependent is still enrolled in a full time studies and will not be able to support him/her self if left behind.
otherwise what's the whole point of including dependents.
by the way im not talking about the new rules here.

boyblue

Dec 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
new rule i.e. 18 yrs old and below only dependents will not be implemented yet this coming january. age is actually locked in upon filing of pr application but to be on the safe side the schooling of cancel dependents be continued until pr is finalized and visa issued. better safe than sorry :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canadavisa13 said:
agree but there is always a grey area for including dependents in PR application unless the application is approved and finalized the visa officer can always ask for proof that the dependent is still enrolled in a full time studies and will not be able to support him/her self if left behind.
The only way that the dependent would need to remain studying is if she had been over 22 when the application had been submitted.

As she was under 22, she does not have to still be studying. She does still need to be dependent on the parent. If she were to marry or enter into a common-law relationship, she would no longer be a dependent. If she were to obtain full-time work allowing her to fully support herself, the VO could say she no longer qualifies as a dependent.

Have a read at these threads

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/over-22-dependent-child-locked-in-age-t63072.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/dependent-child-turning-22-t126990.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/family-class-sponsorship-dependent-child-of-over-22-year-of-age-t92300.0.html