+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding Conjugal relationship

CAhelp1

Aug 18, 2019
Hello all! I have a question regarding applying for AIPP with a conjugal partner. Based on my research we need to prove our relationship by joint bank account, rental housing under both names for at least an year etc. However, my girlfriend is studying and is in her third year in college. She would not be able to come and live in Canada for another year at least. What would be the better option, applying for permanent residence with my application or should I sponsor her after she graduates? She will be coming to Canada to visit me occasionally, however I am not sure if the immigration officers will let her in the country if she says that she is visiting me, due to illegal immigration reasons. What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you please give us some more information about your relationship because it sounds like this isn’t a conjugal relationship. What are the immigration barriers not allowing you to get married? Are you in Canada currently without status?

CAhelp1

Aug 18, 2019
Thank you for your response! I am currently working in London England, my girlfriend is studying in Hungary. We lived together for an year, however last year I moved to work in London while she continued with her studies. Now I am waiting for WES evaluation and looking for a designated employer. If everything goes well and I get sponsored through AIPP program can I prove our conjugal relationship and get her a permanent status while she continues studying without moving with me in Canada? She will visit me from time to time though. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your response! I am currently working in London England, my girlfriend is studying in Hungary. We lived together for an year, however last year I moved to work in London while she continued with her studies. Now I am waiting for WES evaluation and looking for a designated employer. If everything goes well and I get sponsored through AIPP program can I prove our conjugal relationship and get her a permanent status while she continues studying without moving with me in Canada? She will visit me from time to time though. Thank you!
This is not what IRCC considers a conjugal relationship because you have no immigration barriers. I think you are referring to a common law relationship. Yes you have to include her if you lived together for over a year. Hopefully you have detailed records that prove that you lived together continuously for over a year like a lease, utility bills in each person’s name during the over 1 year, etc. IRCC is pretty strict when it comes to proof. She will have to land in Canada but can return to Hungary as long as she meets her residency requirement.

Getting AIPP is not guaranteed. Do you have a skill that is in need? Have you found a potential employer?

CAhelp1

Aug 18, 2019
What are the requirements, how long does she need to stay in Canada and then return to Hungary? If you could provide me with a link would be awesome. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What are the requirements, how long does she need to stay in Canada and then return to Hungary? If you could provide me with a link would be awesome. Thank you!
You really need to do some basic research if you are not aware of the residency requirements. 2 out of 5 years.

CAhelp1

Aug 18, 2019
So basically, she can technically return immediately after finishing the immigration procedure after landing for the first time. 2 out of 5 years is not an issue because she will graduate next year and will come to Canada. As far as AIPP, I am waiting for my credentials assessment and will be sending CVs to employers. Thank you for correcting me for the conjugal part and for your help! This was very helpful.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So basically, she can technically return immediately after finishing the immigration procedure after landing for the first time. 2 out of 5 years is not an issue because she will graduate next year and will come to Canada. As far as AIPP, I am waiting for my credentials assessment and will be sending CVs to employers. Thank you for correcting me for the conjugal part and for your help! This was very helpful.
Yes she could land and return a few hours later without leaving the airport. She would need to leave adequate time for immigration and checking in again. Make sure you have a lot of proof that we’re common law. That is often the stumbling block when couples have only been together close to 1 year.