+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding Co-op Work Permit

Gnkaur

Mar 30, 2017
Hi, I'm currently enrolled in co-op program at my university and I applied for co-op work permit today. I have an official letter from my employer to start the 16-month internship from 2nd week of May,2017 onwards.
So, there are couple of things I'm currently worried about. Firstly, I don't know how long will it take to process my application and will the situation like these can make the company withdraw the job offer?

Secondly, due some reasons with the flow of my academic courses, I supposedly had to take a semester more than my actual 4 year bachelors program. This is my 4th year and my study permit expires end of this December. I don't know for how long am I gonna get this co-op work permit. If I get it till December, then do I have to extend my co-op work permit with the study permit as well?
Also, Will this have any effect on my Job offer? Do they specifically need to have a 16 month iwork permit or can they grant me to work first few months and then be able to extend co-op work permit.

Honestly, I'm ready to work for any bits and pieces to be able to find a proper solution as long as I don't lose this Job Offer.

I've been really anxious about this situation and I have no idea what to do exactly.

Gnkaur

Mar 30, 2017
Is there anyone who can provide a bit of guidance time?
I would really appreciate your time and efforts.

Thanks

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Gnkaur said:
Hi, I'm currently enrolled in co-op program at my university and I applied for co-op work permit today. I have an official letter from my employer to start the 16-month internship from 2nd week of May,2017 onwards.
So, there are couple of things I'm currently worried about. Firstly, I don't know how long will it take to process my application and will the situation like these can make the company withdraw the job offer?

Secondly, due some reasons with the flow of my academic courses, I supposedly had to take a semester more than my actual 4 year bachelors program. This is my 4th year and my study permit expires end of this December. I don't know for how long am I gonna get this co-op work permit. If I get it till December, then do I have to extend my co-op work permit with the study permit as well?
Also, Will this have any effect on my Job offer? Do they specifically need to have a 16 month iwork permit or can they grant me to work first few months and then be able to extend co-op work permit.

Honestly, I'm ready to work for any bits and pieces to be able to find a proper solution as long as I don't lose this Job Offer.

I've been really anxious about this situation and I have no idea what to do exactly.

1. Co-op Permit processing time - 36 'working' days for online application & 101 days for paper application.
2. Your Co-op work Permit will be valid till Dec 2017, same as of current study permit expiry.
3. You will have to renew both Co-op and study permit together before expiry date.
4. I would advise you to send renewal applications 2 months in advance of expiry dates. So, by the time of expiry, you will have new permits. Employer should not have any issue.