+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding Canadian Citizenship Certificate

ukcitizen101

Apr 20, 2017
Our kid was born in UK. I am Canadian . We flew our infant to Canada few months ago and applied for her Canadian Certificate based on my Canadian citizenship. Her British passport allows her only 6 months to stay in UK ( she is 8 months old). Question is, do I need to apply for extension of UK 6 month stay for her or just wait for Canadian certificate to arrive?
Please help. Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Our kid was born in UK. I am Canadian . We flew our infant to Canada few months ago and applied for her Canadian Certificate based on my Canadian citizenship. Her British passport allows her only 6 months to stay in UK ( she is 8 months old). Question is, do I need to apply for extension of UK 6 month stay for her or just wait for Canadian certificate to arrive?
Please help. Thanks
She is Canadian and doesn't need an extension.

ukcitizen101

Apr 20, 2017
thanks but i called ircc and they said i need to get visa extended or she will be considered illegal if citizenship certificate does not come in 6 months perio . what strange situation

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thanks but i called ircc and they said i need to get visa extended or she will be considered illegal if citizenship certificate does not come in 6 months perio . what strange situation
Don't ever take advice from the Call Centre. They are poorly trained and barely able to answer even the most basic questions.

Your child is a Canadian citizen, regardless of whether the certificate has been issued or not. You do not need to extend her status.

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
Please help. Thanks
Good luck. I'm sort of in the opposite situation. I'm British and married to a Canadian here in Canada and we now have two kids born in Canada and while we have no intention of moving to the UK, at some point I do want to get them both a British passport to at least make it easier for them when they're older. Not really sure how to go about it but there's no rush either.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
Please help. Thanks
Don't ever take advice from the Call Centre. They are poorly trained and barely able to answer even the most basic questions.

Your child is a Canadian citizen, regardless of whether the certificate has been issued or not. You do not need to extend her status.

Amendments to the Citizenship Act limit citizenship by descent:
Your new born is (or not) a Canadian citizen automatically depends on whether you were born in Canada or when/how did you get your citizenship as a parent. Please see this link for details: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/improvements/act-changes-2009-2015.html

Hopefully, your matter will be resolved with-in 6 months. If not take a day trip to US! :)

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
get your MP involved if necessary, they should be able to help you in this process.
Hopefully things speed up.

ukcitizen101

Apr 20, 2017
Thanks. .I am naturalized Canadian citizen since 2012. And everywhere I checked they said she is very likely Canadian citizenship based on my citizenship. I never renounced Canadian citizenship even when I lived abroad for some time or travelled. Confusion and more confusion.

As for Buffalo US crossing- I cannot stand US customs. What gives them right to be so AWipes I wonder. And those huge custom dogs around my child- not something I look forward to.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks. .I am naturalized Canadian citizen since 2012. And everywhere I checked they said she is very likely Canadian citizenship based on my citizenship. I never renounced Canadian citizenship even when I lived abroad for some time or travelled. Confusion and more confusion.

As for Buffalo US crossing- I cannot stand US customs. What gives them right to be so AWipes I wonder. And those huge custom dogs around my child- not something I look forward to.
There is no confusion. Your child IS a Canadian citizen.