+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding an expiring passport used in application

sonnyjames

Sep 1, 2013
I'm a UK citizen who's been living and working in Canada for nearly two years and just starting the process of applying for PR under the CEC category.

My UK passport expires at the end of April 2014. I know that when I send the initial application and documents I'm required to include a copy of my UK passport which shows the passport number. However, if I renew my passport then the passport number will, of course, be different by the time that my application is being processed.

Easy answer is to renew the passport now and then make the application, however, I have to travel to the US for work in October and so am unable to begin that renewal process until after that time. My TFW permit ends at the end of February, so I'm keen to get the wheels moving as quickly as possible. Given the work commitment (which is non-negotiable) I'd be unlikely to receive a new UK passport until mid-November, at the earliest, which then leaves me with a bit of a race against time to get the PR application in.

Can anyone advise as to whether I'm able to apply using copies of my current passport and then follow up the application (when I'm later required to send my actual passport) by sending the *new* passport, or whether I simply have to wait and use the new passport only?

Many thanks!

praveenkumarsr

Jan 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
I would suggest to go for the first option. Wait for seniors.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
Get new passport now! (or extend the current one if u can).

i think when u apply for a new passport, they attach ur old passport with it, if ur old passport still has visas (i had mine stapled together). And your new passport should have a note inside saying "The bearer of this passport also traveled with XXXXXX (old pass no#).

This way both passports are connected and proves they belong to same person. So when u get ur new passport, u should send CIC a copy of it.

I don't think anyone will stamp PR visa on an expired passport, so you would have to get a new one anyways.

Also when u send in ur Passport for stamping, you would send both of ur passports.. They will put the visa stamp in the newer one.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
iamroth said:
Get new passport now! (or extend the current one if u can).

i think when u apply for a new passport, they attach ur old passport with it, if ur old passport still has visas (i had mine stapled together). And your new passport should have a note inside saying "The bearer of this passport also traveled with XXXXXX (old pass no#).

This way both passports are connected and proves they belong to same person. So when u get ur new passport, u should send CIC a copy of it.

I don't think anyone will stamp PR visa on an expired passport, so you would have to get a new one anyways.

Also when u send in ur Passport for stamping, you would send both of ur passports.. They will put the visa stamp in the newer one.
UK citizens rarely get ppr - it's happened a few times but it's not really supposed to

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sonnyjames said:
Can anyone advise as to whether I'm able to apply using copies of my current passport and then follow up the application (when I'm later required to send my actual passport) by sending the *new* passport, or whether I simply have to wait and use the new passport only?

Many thanks!
Apply with the current passport. Once you receive your new passport, update CIC by sending photocopies. As said above, you shouldn't have to send your passport because you are visa-exempt but it's possible they will request it anyways.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
My wife applied with her old passport. Then she e-mailed the visa office copies of her new passport when they asked for it. It only delayed her application by a day or so.

JKSNK

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Dec-2012
AOR Received.
31-Jan-2013
Med's Request
05-Nov-2013
Med's Done....
15-Nov-2013
In my view, apply with your existing passport and send them the copy of new passport after renewal.

Thx

mrniceguy3981

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2012
AOR Received.
25-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
11-07-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013 (RPRF/biodata request same day)
Passport Req..
15-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-08-2013
LANDED..........
28-08-2013
Yes, apply with current passport and update CIC when you have the new passport with you...

esbex550

Jun 18, 2013
Currently in India.. Based in Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP- OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2012
Doc's Request.
06-11-2012
AOR Received.
22-10-2012
IELTS Request
10-1-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2012
Med's Request
07-10-2013
Med's Done....
22-10-2013
Interview........
waived....Decision Made 13-01-2014
Passport Req..
10-01-2014. Sent PP on 03-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
09-01-2014. Received PP on 13-02-2014
LANDED..........
landing in April
sonnyjames said:
I'm a UK citizen who's been living and working in Canada for nearly two years and just starting the process of applying for PR under the CEC category.

My UK passport expires at the end of April 2014. I know that when I send the initial application and documents I'm required to include a copy of my UK passport which shows the passport number. However, if I renew my passport then the passport number will, of course, be different by the time that my application is being processed.

Easy answer is to renew the passport now and then make the application, however, I have to travel to the US for work in October and so am unable to begin that renewal process until after that time. My TFW permit ends at the end of February, so I'm keen to get the wheels moving as quickly as possible. Given the work commitment (which is non-negotiable) I'd be unlikely to receive a new UK passport until mid-November, at the earliest, which then leaves me with a bit of a race against time to get the PR application in.

Many thanks!
Hi,
As PAFSO strike is going on. I would advise you to apply with your current passport. In the meantime, they will start processing the application. In the meantime, you will get your AOR. Also at the same time, you should apply for new passport. When you get the new passport, you can scan the copy of the new ones & email them directly with subject mentioning your file no. & client id and they will update it to your file.

ali_manu

Star Member
May 16, 2011
sonnyjames said:

Many thanks!

Hello,

I am in a similar case as yours. I have applied to CIC for PR eight months ago (of course from a different category, not CEC) and now my passport is reaching its last six month validity. I am applying to renew my pass, but don't know how I should inform CIC with that. Did pass renewal delay your application?
I'll apreciate, if you may please help me with your experience.

Thank you