+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question - Parent's sponsorship while spouse sponsorship in progress

friday81

Star Member
Jul 11, 2014
Hello,
I am planning to sponsor my parents.
I currently have a spouse application in process for my wife. I am hoping it will be completed only around Feb 2015.

While completing my parent's sponsor application, I noticed a question which read as below :-
"Have you submitted a previous application in respect of which a final decision has not been made for the person being sponsored and their family members "

My Question
Does this mean I cannot submit my parent's sponsorship application until my wife's application is completed ???

My concern is - If I wait for my spouse application to be completed, I may miss the cap for parent's application as only 5000 applications can be submitted during an year

Does anyone know ?
Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I believe it's fine to submit your parents PR application this January. You would only be ineligible to sponsor if you had a previous undertaking that you were in default of (so a sponsored spouse used social assistance, that you didn't pay back).

Of course you will need to show your Canadian income meets the parents LICO amounts for your family size, for 2011, 2012 and 2013. But also sponsoring your wife at the same time shouldn't be an issue.

While you can use the current parents application on CIC site to get started, I wouldn't put too much effort into filling out the forms just yet. At the end of December of this year, expect a whole bunch of updated parents forms to be released. You will need to use any updated forms when applying in January.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
friday81 said:
Hello,
I am planning to sponsor my parents.
I currently have a spouse application in process for my wife. I am hoping it will be completed only around Feb 2015.

While completing my parent's sponsor application, I noticed a question which read as below :-
"Have you submitted a previous application in respect of which a final decision has not been made for the person being sponsored and their family members "

My Question
Does this mean I cannot submit my parent's sponsorship application until my wife's application is completed ???

My concern is - If I wait for my spouse application to be completed, I may miss the cap for parent's application as only 5000 applications can be submitted during an year

Does anyone know ?
Thanks!
Not a problem at all...
what you will need is to make sure that you have the minimum income required...
Every year they update the forms, then you will need to download them un December 31st.
and send them as soon as possible to make it to the 5,000 applications accepted...
and then wait for approximately 5 years that is the time that takes to process the application...

The assessment of the sponsor takes 40 months at the moment...
and Immigration is working?? on applications received before April 2011....

Then the time to asses your parents will depend on the Visa Office...
it may take 24 months... or more....

It is not a priority of the current government to bring Parents of immigrants to Canada...
and it is reflected in the slow processing time..., and also is reflected in the cap of only
5,000 parents approved a year....