+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on Sponsoring other Relatives

Jayrock75

Nov 3, 2023
  • you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above),who is a:
    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
    • registered Indian under the Indian Act
Regarding aunt or uncle (under IRCC definition), is my mother's half-brother who is a Canadian citizen considered my uncle? Please see above. I am not close to him and I don't consider him a blood relative. I am sponsoring my nephew under the Lonely Canadian program. Please advise.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
  • you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above),who is a:
    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
Regarding aunt or uncle (under IRCC definition), is my mother's half-brother who is a Canadian citizen considered my uncle? Please see above. I am not close to him and I don't consider him a blood relative. I am sponsoring my nephew under the Lonely Canadian program. Please advise.
Are you a blood relative? Even if you don’t consider him a blood relative, you may be blood relations. So does your mother share a mother/father or did parent marry and this person became a step brother. If they have the same parent, then you are a blood relation and he is your uncle. Doesn’t matter if you are not close.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
Since you said your mother's half brother (not step brother), I believe that your mother shared either her mother or father with this brother of hers.
Then he is your blood relative (related by blood via your mother).

Since your uncle is a Canadian, you cannot sponsor your nephew.

Nabia451

Nov 13, 2023
Hi, I was thinking to sponsor my mother as relative. She is related to me by blood. There is no one else whom I can sponsor instead, I am living alone in Canada. Just wondering if it is possible. Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I was thinking to sponsor my mother as relative. She is related to me by blood. There is no one else whom I can sponsor instead, I am living alone in Canada. Just wondering if it is possible. Thanks
Then you must go through the PGP lottery for parents and grandparents. It has not been open since 2020 so need to wait until next fall to see if it will open. You must meet LICO for the number of people in your family for the past few years. She may never be selected or if it opens, you may be fortunate to be selected in the first year.

Reactions: YVR123