+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on SOWP and minor child study permit

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
At Pearsons, upon landing, the CBSA officer asked if I knew I could bring my family with me during my studies. I said yes, and that they are with me but only for a short visit because my wife will visit my mother-in-law at the hospital. CBSA officer said that I should apply for her SOWP and that I transfer my son here in canada for high school. Unfortunately, I did not ask how to apply for my son’s study permit (below 17 years old).

Both my wife and son have valid multiple entry visit visa (category: visitor) until 2021. My wife will apply for her SOWP from home country. But I don’t know how to apply for my minor son’s study permit so that he can continue his high school studies here. The SOWP application is straighforward enough but for a minor child its not really clear how to apply if filed after the parent already have study visa. They are now back in the Philippines.

Any ideas how to apply for a minor’s study permit? Or at least a link in IRCC website (I already searched but my keywords might be incorrect as I am not getting anything...)

Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
At Pearsons, upon landing, the CBSA officer asked if I knew I could bring my family with me during my studies. I said yes, and that they are with me but only for a short visit because my wife will visit my mother-in-law at the hospital. CBSA officer said that I should apply for her SOWP and that I transfer my son here in canada for high school. Unfortunately, I did not ask how to apply for my son’s study permit (below 17 years old).

Both my wife and son have valid multiple entry visit visa (category: visitor) until 2021. My wife will apply for her SOWP from home country. But I don’t know how to apply for my minor son’s study permit so that he can continue his high school studies here. The SOWP application is straighforward enough but for a minor child its not really clear how to apply if filed after the parent already have study visa. They are now back in the Philippines.

Any ideas how to apply for a minor’s study permit? Or at least a link in IRCC website (I already searched but my keywords might be incorrect as I am not getting anything...)

Thanks in advance.
There is no specific app for minors. The application package is the same for everyone.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/minor-children.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
CBSA agents also didn't mention that families of international students aren't always allowed to live in Canada. He/she is probably unfamiliar with immigration policies.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
CBSA agents also didn't mention that families of international students aren't always allowed to live in Canada. He/she is probably unfamiliar with immigration policies.
Probably would have though that OP did not know that he could bring his family over and may have mentioned SOWP to OP so that the family is not seperated.

You are right when talking about it not always being granted but I think the Agent was taking into account the human aspect also.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Probably would have though that OP did not know that he could bring his family over and may have mentioned SOWP to OP so that the family is not seperated.

You are right when talking about it not always being granted but I think the Agent was taking into account the human aspect also.
Just pointing out that CBSA agent doesn't work in immigration and wasn't giving the full story.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks for the input, guys, really appreciate it.

So just to make sure I got it right, application requirements for minor students are the same except for the LOA from primary or secondary school? Is that correct?

For other international students who brought their families with them, how much is the tuition cost for primary/secondary schools on average?

I did not include them in my application because I read from previous threads here that there is a better chance of approval if applicant does not include family and just apply for them once the primary applicant gets approved.

Thanks again.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the input, guys, really appreciate it.

So just to make sure I got it right, application requirements for minor students are the same except for the LOA from primary or secondary school? Is that correct?

For other international students who brought their families with them, how much is the tuition cost for primary/secondary schools on average?

I did not include them in my application because I read from previous threads here that there is a better chance of approval if applicant does not include family and just apply for them once the primary applicant gets approved.

Thanks again.
Tuition is free for public schools.

Akad

May 22, 2022
Applying for SOWP, have question about depending children:
  1. What should I select visa type for dependent children, Visitor or study (ages b/w 5y-10y)? If I select study then what will I upload in the LOA requirement tabs?
  2. What should I select visa type for infant (less than 1y old)?