+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on PGP expression of interest

jumppluffww

Sep 13, 2019
I don't have any experience with PGP yet, and would like to hear about past experiences and know more about what to expect if and when we are able to submit an Expression of Interest again.

I wonder for 2020 and earlier years, could people submit the EOI any time, or was the window only open for a specific period? If there was a window, at what time of the year and for how long?

Was there a quota for how many EOI they would receive, or that you can always successfully submit one within the window (if any)?

And if say I submitted an EOI but wasn't invited, will I automatically have another chance in the following years, or do we need to submit a new EOI each year (that it's open)?

I tried searching for these information but didn't find much, and most people seem to be talking about whether they have gotten the lottery. But right now I'm wondering how hard it is to just get my feet in the door. Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't have any experience with PGP yet, and would like to hear about past experiences and know more about what to expect if and when we are able to submit an Expression of Interest again.

I wonder for 2020 and earlier years, could people submit the EOI any time, or was the window only open for a specific period? If there was a window, at what time of the year and for how long?

Was there a quota for how many EOI they would receive, or that you can always successfully submit one within the window (if any)?

And if say I submitted an EOI but wasn't invited, will I automatically have another chance in the following years, or do we need to submit a new EOI each year (that it's open)?

I tried searching for these information but didn't find much, and most people seem to be talking about whether they have gotten the lottery. But right now I'm wondering how hard it is to just get my feet in the door. Many thanks in advance!
New EOI applications are not yet announced. Each year are different. Like many people who entered the EOI for 2017, but was not invited, had to re-enter their EOI for 2018, whereas people who entered their EOI in 2019/2020 are invited for 2022. It's a matter of luck - some people might not be invited at all.

jumppluffww

Sep 13, 2019
New EOI applications are not yet announced. Each year are different. Like many people who entered the EOI for 2017, but wasn't invited, had to re-enter their EOI for 2018, whereas people who entered their EOI in 2020 are being invited for 2022. It's a matter of luck - some people might not be invited at all.
Thanks! This is exactly what I wish to know. I know that they are still drawing from people who applied in 2020.

So basically this means, after submitting an EOI we still need to keep an eye on the program to see if invitations are being sent or whether you might need to apply again. Tough process...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks! This is exactly what I wish to know. I know that they are still drawing from people who applied in 2020.

So basically this means, after submitting an EOI we still need to keep an eye on the program to see if invitations are being sent or whether you might need to apply again. Tough process...
Not only that. You need to make sure your income meet the requirement for each year until your parents or grandparents landed in Canada becoming PR.

Reactions: jumppluffww

jumppluffww

Sep 13, 2019
Not only that. You need to make sure your income meet the requirement for each year until your parents or grandparents landed in Canada becoming PR.
Thanks! Do you know in the past, usually how long was the window open to submit an EOI and whether there were any quota in how many EOI they would receive, something like that?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks! Do you know in the past, usually how long was the window open to submit an EOI and whether there were any quota in how many EOI they would receive, something like that?
I don't remember what it was in 2017. But there's one year after that, people had to hire someone to compete against time (who was good at computers or can access to fast inernet) in order to submit their EOI before the quota reached.

jumppluffww

Sep 13, 2019
I don't remember what it was in 2017. But there's one year after that, people had to hire someone to compete against time (who was good at computers or can access to fast inernet) in order to submit their EOI before the quota reached.
So there is a quota indeed, similar to provincial nominations (that I'm also not familiar with but heard stories of). Thank you so much for your help!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

It's worked different ways in different years. So some of your questions are really impossible to answer for the future because we have no idea what IRCC will do. And it's also impossible to generalize about the past.

In 2020 there was a 2-3 week window to submit EOIs. There was no cap on EOIs. IRCC then randomly issued a limited number of invitations from the EOI pool. So there was a cap on invitations but no cap on EOIs.

The 2020 pool is the first time IRCC has really reused EOIs year after year. In previous years, you had to submit a new EOI each year.

In earlier years, there was no EOI. People simply submitting complete applications starting on a specific date and IRCC accepted them first come first serve until the cap was reached. Any applications received after the cap was reached were returned.

In even earlier years, there was no cap at all. The large volume of applications led to processing times of 12-15 years. As a result of this, IRCC put in the caps.

jumppluffww

Sep 13, 2019
It's worked different ways in different years. So some of your questions are really impossible to answer for the future because we have no idea what IRCC will do. And it's also impossible to generalize about the past.

In 2020 there was a 2-3 week window to submit EOIs. There was no cap on EOIs. IRCC then randomly issued a limited number of invitations from the EOI pool. So there was a cap on invitations but no cap on EOIs.

The 2020 pool is the first time IRCC has really reused EOIs year after year. In previous years, you had to submit a new EOI each year.

In earlier years, there was no EOI. People simply submitting complete applications starting on a specific date and IRCC accepted them first come first serve until the cap was reached. Any applications received after the cap was reached were returned.

In even earlier years, there was no cap at all. The large volume of applications led to processing times of 12-15 years. As a result of this, IRCC put in the caps.
Thank you so much! This is a great summary and explains many things, such as why they haven't accepted any new applications yet. Maybe there won't be any in the next few years either. Anyway, I will keep an eye on the news.

Reactions: YVR123