Question on OCI

HoneyBee16

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

I will be attending my OATH ceromony Next Week for the Canadian Citizenship. After that i want to apply for OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India). I would highly appreciate if some one can provide me with a nice thread/link from this forum as to how i can apply for the same.

Many Thanks

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
count me in. I am on the same boat as you. but I am in a dilemma - OCI or POI.
for OCI you don't need to report to a local police station if you plan to stay more than 6 months but for POI you have to.
OCI life long visa (well they say lifelong but every time you renew passport you need to get a sticker in the new passport - so I say validity is 10 years if you get Canada passport for 1o years)

major issue is (I am not clear) - if you get in to problems in India with OCI card in hand - CANADA government will not help you - you have to abide the local law but with POI Canada will help you. ( I am not so sure - this is the answer I have been looking for) well if you know any let me know.

for OCI - here you go -- http://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocimisc.php

For POI - here you go -- http://www.blsindia-canada.com/piohome.php

vias

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OCI life long visa (well they say lifelong but every time you renew passport you need to get a sticker in the new passport - so I say validity is 10 years if you get Canada passport for 1o years)

[/quote]

OCI validity is life long ...No need to get the sticker in new pass port if you carry old pass port. Though pass port expired OCI Stamp still valid in old pass port.

hiabhay

Star Member
Jun 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2009
Doc's Request.
10-06-2009
AOR Received.
10-06-2009
IELTS Request
10-06-2009
File Transfer...
17-06-2009
Med's Request
18-11-2009
Med's Done....
17-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-11-2009
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2010
LANDED..........
25-10-2010
PIO is for people with Indian origin born outside India. OCI is for Indian citizen who surrenders their citizenship and acquired foreign citizenship. PIO people are required to register to Indian Police as the officials do not have any record for them. OCI, no need coz as the person had Indian citizenship in the past. Hope this helps.

HoneyBee16

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks guys for your response.

Will any one be able to answer the question from cic8888 -

major issue is (I am not clear) - if you get in to problems in India with OCI card in hand - CANADA government will not help you - you have to abide the local law but with POI Canada will help you. ( I am not so sure - this is the answer I have been looking for) well if you know any let me know.

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
LOL..what are you thinking of doing in India that you will get into hands with OCI !! that too with Police..!! You don't have to stick OCI on yourself..all the time !!

Happygolucky_again

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
I do not think it is true... My brother was born in India, but has a PIO and not OCI.

hiabhay said:
PIO is for people with Indian origin born outside India. OCI is for Indian citizen who surrenders their citizenship and acquired foreign citizenship. PIO people are required to register to Indian Police as the officials do not have any record for them. OCI, no need coz as the person had Indian citizenship in the past. Hope this helps.

Happygolucky_again

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
As far as I know, if you are a dual citizen, and you travel to the country where you are a citizen of as well, you are treated as a citizen of that country. As far as OCI is considered, even though it is called overseas citizen of India, dual citizenship is not recognized in india. (Remember you have surrendered your Indian citizenship in Canada before applying for OCI).

So, I dont think it really matters, except for the fact that thet PIO and OCI are valid for different times, renewal policies, rights on agricultural land, reporting to the local authorities after 6 months, etc. If any one of these are factors which affect you, then consider one or the other.

Hope this helps.

HoneyBee16 said:
Thanks guys for your response.

Will any one be able to answer the question from cic8888 -

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
i think "Happygolucky_again " answered my question.
because India does not allow dual citizenship - OCI or PIO does not matter - Canada government will assist you incase of emergencies. - am I RIGHT?

and aries9811 - what I meant by OCI card in hand is - you are in india and in OCI status and if you are in trouble (not necessarily you did some crime - you as a victim).

Happygolucky_again

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
They "should". Whether they will or not is upto them :)

cic8888 said:
i think "Happygolucky_again " answered my question.
because India does not allow dual citizenship - OCI or PIO does not matter - Canada government will assist you incase of emergencies. - am I RIGHT?

and aries9811 - what I meant by OCI card in hand is - you are in india and in OCI status and if you are in trouble (not necessarily you did some crime - you as a victim).

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
There are so many people including celebrities working in India under OCI status. So just Relax !!!!

akshay.1o

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
Hi there am applying for oci for my 2 months old son. He just got his passport. I have question.. Is it okay to use same photo for oci that I used for passport? I mean the photographer took 2 photos of my son one for oci and one for passport with differentsize and specificsaccording to oci checklist.... is there a problem if photo in passport and oci looks same I mean same clothes same face expression?