+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on how to apply for an Open Work permit while my wife is studying in Canada

kevin307

Oct 7, 2018
My wife is planning on studying in Canada, and I would like to apply for an Open Work Permit so that she won't be alone in Canada.

My question is,

1. When she receive her study permit. Can I come to Canada with her using a Visitor Visa and then apply for an Open Work Permit while I am in Canada or I have to apply it before come?

2. Is it better for her to come over to Canada first and get settled in and then I apply for the Open Work Permit in my country or apply it as soon as she receive her study permit.

Thanks you for your help.

cvw123

Jan 21, 2019
My wife is planning on studying in Canada, and I would like to apply for an Open Work Permit so that she won't be alone in Canada.

My question is,

1. When she receive her study permit. Can I come to Canada with her using a Visitor Visa and then apply for an Open Work Permit while I am in Canada or I have to apply it before come?

2. Is it better for her to come over to Canada first and get settled in and then I apply for the Open Work Permit in my country or apply it as soon as she receive her study permit.

Thanks you for your help.
I would suggest that let your wife go to Canada and join the classes. After few days the college will issue an enrollment letter and this letter is required for SOWP visa...I did this way....I am awaiting for the decision for SWOP visa....

kevin307

Oct 7, 2018
I would suggest that let your wife go to Canada and join the classes. After few days the college will issue an enrollment letter and this letter is required for SOWP visa...I did this way....I am awaiting for the decision for SWOP visa....
Understood and thank you very much for your help. cvw123

kevin307

Oct 7, 2018
Spouses of international students aren't guaranteed SOWP.
Hi Canuck78, but what are the chances on getting the SOWP, or is there a way to have a higher chance on receiving the permit?

More information, wife is going to study a 2 yrs diploma on Business Administration.

Thanks!