+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on healthcare system

smallwhale

Feb 24, 2010
Hello,

I have a few questions about the healthcare system in Canada. Advanced thanks for taking time to read and reply to my questions.

1) Once moved to Canada as a PR, I guess I have to apply for the health care system of the province where I will be moving to. Typically how long does it take to activate the health care system ?
2) I would assume I may need a private insurance to cover any doctor visit or medical emergencies during that time ? What are some of the private insurances that I may look into ?
3) I also heard that may employers offer private insurance even though the Government health insurance is available. Why is that and what extra benefit the private insurance would have ?
4) Would dental and vision be covered by the same Government insurance (I am from US, and here dental and vision have separate insurance from physical. I kind of find that a little strange).
5) In case I get health insurance from province A, will that cover any doctor visit or medical emergencies anywhere in Canada (even outside the province A) during travel ? What about international coverage ?
6) In case I move from province A to province B, will I again have to wait before I get the health insurance from province B after applying it there ?
7) Does insurance pay for the prescription medicines as well ? Or I have to pay for the prescription and over the counter medicines ?

Thanks ..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
smallwhale said:
1) Once moved to Canada as a PR, I guess I have to apply for the health care system of the province where I will be moving to. Typically how long does it take to activate the health care system ?
2) I would assume I may need a private insurance to cover any doctor visit or medical emergencies during that time ? What are some of the private insurances that I may look into ?
3) I also heard that may employers offer private insurance even though the Government health insurance is available. Why is that and what extra benefit the private insurance would have ?
4) Would dental and vision be covered by the same Government insurance (I am from US, and here dental and vision have separate insurance from physical. I kind of find that a little strange).
5) In case I get health insurance from province A, will that cover any doctor visit or medical emergencies anywhere in Canada (even outside the province A) during travel ? What about international coverage ?
6) In case I move from province A to province B, will I again have to wait before I get the health insurance from province B after applying it there ?
7) Does insurance pay for the prescription medicines as well ? Or I have to pay for the prescription and over the counter medicines ?
1. Depends on the province.

2. Private insurance will only cover emergencies, not routine doctor visits.

3. Some employers offer extended benefits, which cover things that provincial healthcare doesn't, like dental, physical therapy, prescriptions etc.

4. Provincial healthcare doesn't cover dental and vision.

5. Within Canada, yes. Internationally, to a very bare minimum.

6. The first province will cover you during the wait period.

7. No, you pay for prescriptions yourself unless you have extended benefits through work.