Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2016
I am a US Citizen working in Canada for the last 3 years on a NAFTA Permit. When it was time to file for an extension, I put my soon-to-be ex wife's name on the application as she got an open permit for being my spouse. Question - will her permit be invalidated once our divorce is finalized? My employer stated that their policy is to notify immigration that the spouse is no longer the spouse of the principal permit holder, so I thought that meant that her permit would be invalidated. Please advise. Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

meskal1 said:
I am a US Citizen working in Canada for the last 3 years on a NAFTA Permit. When it was time to file for an extension, I put my soon-to-be ex wife's name on the application as she got an open permit for being my spouse. Question - will her permit be invalidated once our divorce is finalized? My employer stated that their policy is to notify immigration that the spouse is no longer the spouse of the principal permit holder, so I thought that meant that her permit would be invalidated. Please advise. Thank you!
Yes, as she is no longer the spouse of a TWP here Spousal work permit becomes invalid.

meskal1

Sep 2, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2016
Thanks PMM. I thought so, but recently she told me she "talked to immigration" and they told her that this was "not necessarily the case", so I wasn't sure what to believe.