+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on approved Extended Family Exemption (committed relationship)

danny2021

Mar 31, 2021
Hi Danny,
Just a few more questions (thanks again for being so helpful!). Regarding the purpose of the visit and timing of the travel for the VISITOR VISA application -since touristy stuff is closed due to COVID, what type of itinerary did you provide for your partner's trip? In the same line of thinking, what did you do for specified date of travel and plane tickets or hotel bookings? Do you base the information on "Anticipated" travel dates? How far in the future did you say she would be visiting? And did you actually go ahead and purchase a round trip flight ticket and make hotel reservations for the "anticipated" date, or how does all that work? I'm going to try to make mine as close to yours as possible since you're in pretty much the same exact situation. Thanks again so much!

-C.
These are all good questions. But I think I lucked out on a few of them and to be honest some of them might not turn out to be too important.

As far as I understand, the travel authorization is only good for 6 months from date of issue. So you wouldn't want to plan too far in advance. In our case we submitted everything in early March for a planned visit from Aug. 1-30. Had a letter from her employer permitting her leave for the same time period. Don't have and didn't submit any itinerary or reserved tickets/bookings etc. Only listed those dates.

She received a biometrics letter shortly after submitting the application, and did biometrics a few weeks later. The day after biometrics, she received notification that everything was approved, and needed to submit passport and a few other things to the VAC so that processing could be finalized (which is where we're currently at, waiting for her passport to be returned with visa in it). I could look up the exact time frame but it was all done in a few weeks just in line with what the government had been claiming. Which surprised me. Again, this was our experience in China, no idea if elsewhere is similar. I didn't know if I'd get an answer in a few weeks or a year so the timing of the planned visit for us just seemed to be luck. I assumed if I got "approved" in November that we'd just work with that on a new schedule for a visit.

Personally I'm waiting to book everything once I see the visa. Factor in 14 days of quarantine leaves 2 weeks of actual visit to "schedule" which we'll have answers for when she gets to the border. I'm mainly planning to have her repeat the textbook answers as much as possible, for reuniting with family, time with me, staying with me, etc. Some covid -appropriate/approved activities. The theme being brief, legal, reasonable, considerate of covid restrictions.

CannaChick

Apr 12, 2021
Thank you so much again. I didn't sign up yet for a GC key as I don't want to start the application until I have all the info gathered. What is the process for doing the Visitor Visa application online? Do you just fill out the forms directly into the platform or do you upload the forms that you've filled out prior to doing the application part? Thanks so much again for all your help, totally new to this and don't want to start the application then realize I'm missing information.

CannaChick

Apr 12, 2021
In this case, only the statutory declaration!
Oh another question as well, since they will require biometrics does that mean you did not have to send physical passport photos? And for the form IMM5409 (statutory declaration of common law union), since you included form IMM0006, I'm assuming that would replace IMM5409 since you were in a dating relationship not a common-law one, correct?

danny2021

Mar 31, 2021
Thank you so much again. I didn't sign up yet for a GC key as I don't want to start the application until I have all the info gathered. What is the process for doing the Visitor Visa application online? Do you just fill out the forms directly into the platform or do you upload the forms that you've filled out prior to doing the application part? Thanks so much again for all your help, totally new to this and don't want to start the application then realize I'm missing information.
Once you start an application, you have like 30 or 60 days to complete it, so you can upload as you complete things, or reupload too. And it provides you with a few checklists. I'm gonna send you a dm.

vaykres12

Apr 24, 2021
I am still in shock, my girlfriend in a large Asian country that begins with C (working there, not her home country) received authorization for exemption for a visitor visa, based on extended family (committed relationship). I'm a Cdn citizen by birth.

I never imagined this would be approved, in fact one potential plan we had was for a rejected VV to lead to evidence of an immigration barrier for conjugal sponsorship (but that's not the point).

How strong does that TRV approval count for once she reaches the border? I was so convinced of rejection that I am very scared now that the border agent will "overrule" the approval and find that she has weak ties to country of residence and a strong reason to remain in Canada, because I am here. She has savings, a job/contract/work permit, and a letter from employer granting leave, that's about it. No previous comparable international travel. I have visited her twice.

To me it seems a bit strange to allow for committed relationships as extended family exemption when that situation, in the past, would be a prime reason for rejecting a TRV. But I am not complaining, as long as she does not get refused entry at the border.

Has anyone personally had this work or heard of this working before?
Any suggestions for the strongest preparations to make for arrival in Canada?
Am I right to think that any mention of future marriage plans would be a drawback? We were in fact also discussing marrying in her home country later this year, assuming the VV wouldn't work.
Are there any stories about border agents searching phones for discussion of relationship plans etc.?

We are very keen to follow all laws and be truthful in all interactions, but want to be wise about her arrival and know what to expect. Thanks for sharing any advice and experiences.
Hi Danny, thanks so much for opening this thread and shared lots of info. Great help indeed!

Is it safe to just put 4-8weeks visit than 6months?
Also with the application for TRV, do we need to fill up IMM5475 (Authority to release personal information)?
Did you wait for ICC’s medical request?

Do you not consider marrying your gf and apply for inland spousal while she’s here?

Last edited:

danny2021

Mar 31, 2021
Hi Danny, thanks so much for opening this thread and shared lots of info. Great help indeed!

Is it safe to just put 4-8weeks visit than 6months?
Also with the application for TRV, do we need to fill up IMM5475 (Authority to release personal information)?
Did you wait for ICC’s medical request?

Do you not consider marrying your gf and apply for inland spousal while she’s here?
Hi, I missed your reply for some time, sorry about that. Again I can only speak from my experience and what I've read, but definitely do not put 6 months visit. Everything I read tells me the most important factor in approval is "is this a temporary visit" and "will this person leave Canada at the end of the visit" and staying for 6 months does not inspire confidence towards those things. In the past the common advice you would hear would be 2, 3, 4 weeks because that's about as much as you might expect a person would be allowed and able to be away from their affairs in their home country. I've mentally added 2 weeks to that advice to account for the quarantine upon arrival (whether or not anyone else agrees with me, particularly the ones who matter).

You need to fill out that form if anyone other than the applicant themselves is making the submission, yes. In our case we already did the medical before making the application. And to be clear, I don't think they "request" the medical, they expect you to either have it booked or completed already, and you must show proof of one of those two things. The request that comes after submitting is for biometrics.

And yeah, definitely I consider that option about inland spousal. I'm not sure I would want my girlfriend to admit that at the border, but we do not have any wedding plans currently.

Sharkha

Nov 21, 2017
I am still in shock, my girlfriend in a large Asian country that begins with C (working there, not her home country) received authorization for exemption for a visitor visa, based on extended family (committed relationship). I'm a Cdn citizen by birth.

I never imagined this would be approved, in fact one potential plan we had was for a rejected VV to lead to evidence of an immigration barrier for conjugal sponsorship (but that's not the point).

How strong does that TRV approval count for once she reaches the border? I was so convinced of rejection that I am very scared now that the border agent will "overrule" the approval and find that she has weak ties to country of residence and a strong reason to remain in Canada, because I am here. She has savings, a job/contract/work permit, and a letter from employer granting leave, that's about it. No previous comparable international travel. I have visited her twice.

To me it seems a bit strange to allow for committed relationships as extended family exemption when that situation, in the past, would be a prime reason for rejecting a TRV. But I am not complaining, as long as she does not get refused entry at the border.

Has anyone personally had this work or heard of this working before?
Any suggestions for the strongest preparations to make for arrival in Canada?
Am I right to think that any mention of future marriage plans would be a drawback? We were in fact also discussing marrying in her home country later this year, assuming the VV wouldn't work.
Are there any stories about border agents searching phones for discussion of relationship plans etc.?

We are very keen to follow all laws and be truthful in all interactions, but want to be wise about her arrival and know what to expect. Thanks for sharing any advice and experiences.
Hi Danny2021,

I hope that by now you have been reunited with your partner! My case is also similar to yours. My fiance was doing erasmus internship as part of degree program in spain till june 2021 when we submitted the application for TRV. Recently the address changed as the internship was over and we sent a request on Webform to update the address. Got an acknowkedgement email today from Paris VO that they have received change of address request.

Meanwhile, after submitting the trv application we also submitted a request for gcms notes on 4th June which got delivered yesterday. My query is mainly regarding the GCMS notes of Temporary Residence Visa (Visitor Visa) for an extended family member. I am a PR and I have applied for my fiance's TRV under the Extended Family Visa category (Covid-19 exemption). We submitted the Visitor Visa application on 2nd June 2021 while my Fiance was in Spain (file goes to Paris Visa Office) and did the Biometric on 18th June 2021 in Ankara.

In addition (gcms was requested by agency on 25th June so it may not reflect the latest status), it shows Criminality: Passed- Bio; Info Sharing: Complete; Counterfoil required: Y. But Eligibility and Security sections are blank. What does it mean? Will they perform Eligibility and Security later? How soon can we expect to hear from them about this part?

Thanks in advance for your time!

danny2021

Mar 31, 2021
Hi Sharkha, thanks for your kind words -- unfortunately I haven't seen any of our own GCMS notes and I suppose the process and timeframe varies by office. I can't really give you any answer to your questions but I hope someone else can!

Reactions: Sharkha

Rhea Jose

Mar 15, 2020
Hi @danny2021, we just got our trv approved along with the the approved authorisation letter. Thank you for answering my questions! We're now waiting for the passport to come back with the stamp so that we can arrange the travel. How was your partner's experience at the airport? Was she required to show a return ticket or any other documents apart from the Negative covid test and authorisation letter? I am fully vaccinated and hence will not be required to quarantine as per the new guidelines.

danny2021

Mar 31, 2021
@Rhea Jose - great news, congrats! Her experience at the border was super smooth and easy. I don't think she even had to show the return ticket (though she did have it booked). They asked why she was here, where was she staying, when she was leaving, where was she from. I think they looked at the statutory declaration too.

This was all pretty much by the book -- see: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/examination-admission-port-entry.html

or the comprehensive PDF linked on that page if you like lots of details.

NaCanada2016

Aug 25, 2021
Hello everyone, sorry my question might not be related to this topic, but I would appreciate if you know the answer.
I am a permanent resident of Canada. My sister applied for Visitor Visa for the second time three weeks ago. Her first visa was expired on May 2021. Today we got a new update on her application as Information Letter.

Subject: Request for an Authorization for Exemption from Canadian Travel Restrictions for the Purpose of Family Reunification

We have received your enquiry and can confirm that a review of your application remains in process. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will be in touch with you when a final decision is made or if more information is required. To obtain more information, please fill out the IRCC Web form in order for it to be sent to the responsible Canadian visa office directly.

Due to the ongoing situation, IRCC offices are experiencing processing delays. Rest assured that they are making all the necessary efforts to process requests as soon as possible; however, having to respond to status updates on applications will affect the processing times.

Also note that during the review of your file, you are not considered to hold a valid Travel document. As such, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada until you are advised.

Just wondering if anybody is aware of this letter. Actually, I am not sure about "you are not considered to hold a valid Travel document" of the last paragraph.
Thanks!

Last edited:

demonpreet

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
@danny2021 HI,
Awesome, that's a good story to read after reading so may negative response.

I too am in the same boat. I have a couple of questions:

1) Where do I upload this form IMM0006? Should it be under "Proof of relationship'?
2) How can I get the form notarized?

demonpreet

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hi, @
Hi @danny2021, we just got our trv approved along with the the approved authorisation letter. Thank you for answering my questions! We're now waiting for the passport to come back with the stamp so that we can arrange the travel. How was your partner's experience at the airport? Was she required to show a return ticket or any other documents apart from the Negative covid test and authorisation letter? I am fully vaccinated and hence will not be required to quarantine as per the new guidelines.
Hi, @Rhea Jose, I am in the same boat and
I have a question for you.
How dod you prove your relationship with your partner?