+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on applying to jobs pre-landing

radicalprotnns

Star Member
Nov 10, 2022
Hi,

I already have my COPR and I'm planning when to move to Canada. Of course, the ideal situation would be that I get a job before landing. I think this question is more suitable in this sub since the one on finding work in Canada seems to be primarily for those without visas yet.

I've heard of some (like AndyUK) who got a job before landing. Is this the norm for the people on this forum? For context, I have a PhD in a quantitative field from the US, currently working as a data scientist, and I've been applying to a few data scientist jobs in Canada. I haven't gotten a single interview, just straight rejections. In the past, as I was transitioning from my postdoc to a career in data science, I've gotten interviews in the US and UK. I am doing some reflection but could it be partly because, when filling out the application form, I put there that my current address is outside Canada? Do the application systems filter out your profile if your current address is not in Canada? I am asking because, I am also working with ICTC (pre-arrival services funded by Canadian govt) to make my resume "Canadian style" and the facilitator (who's not Canadian and is based out of Canada), put "Toronto, ON" on my resume even though I still haven't landed yet. I thought it would be easier to get interviews since I have work authorization in Canada...

If anyone has some "success stories", can I reach out via dm to ask some questions? Thanks so much!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I already have my COPR and I'm planning when to move to Canada. Of course, the ideal situation would be that I get a job before landing. I think this question is more suitable in this sub since the one on finding work in Canada seems to be primarily for those without visas yet.

I've heard of some (like AndyUK) who got a job before landing. Is this the norm for the people on this forum? For context, I have a PhD in a quantitative field from the US, currently working as a data scientist, and I've been applying to a few data scientist jobs in Canada. I haven't gotten a single interview, just straight rejections. In the past, as I was transitioning from my postdoc to a career in data science, I've gotten interviews in the US and UK. I am doing some reflection but could it be partly because, when filling out the application form, I put there that my current address is outside Canada? Do the application systems filter out your profile if your current address is not in Canada? I am asking because, I am also working with ICTC (pre-arrival services funded by Canadian govt) to make my resume "Canadian style" and the facilitator (who's not Canadian and is based out of Canada), put "Toronto, ON" on my resume even though I still haven't landed yet. I thought it would be easier to get interviews since I have work authorization in Canada...

If anyone has some "success stories", can I reach out via dm to ask some questions? Thanks so much!
Yes your application is likely being filtered out due to the lack of Canadian information. Would suggest at the very least getting a Canadian phone number.

Reactions: hamgha

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
I didn't exactly get a job before landing, but I was interviewed remotely for a well paying job in my field. I was offered the job shortly after landing.

LinkedIn Premium worked wonders for me, and it's how I got the interview. As mentioned above, your application is very likely to be filtered out when your contact information + most/all experience is outside Canada.

Find job listings on LinkedIn that you think you are a good match for. Search for the hiring manager - or someone who could be connected to the role based on their title. Send a well crafted LinkedIn message expressing your interest and your plans to come to Canada as a PR.

In my case, the head of the department straight up told me that he asked the hiring team to review my application because he liked my message. It was not going to be picked up otherwise.

Good luck!

Reactions: canuck78

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

So I'm not sure I agree with the ICTC about saying you are in Toronto. What if some employer really likes your profile and asks you to come for an in-person interview within a day or two? Then you would be forced to tell them that you lied about your location.

I would personally not put an address on your resume (just an email) and instead put something at the top like: Moving to Toronto, ON in September 2023 as a Canadian permanent resident and seeking a data scientist role.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
All good suggestions. For positions requiring a PhD sending in random CVs is probably not the best route. Would join networking groups flared to data science in Canada, find supervisors and contact them directly, use any contacts you have in the industry to see if they have any contacts at potential employers in Canada, etc. I can imagine there is probably a network for PhD holders in data science and so this would reach out to others in Canada that may have a similar background as you do especially other foreign grads who are now working in Canada. Most employers get resumes from people with no ability to work in Canada so unless it is very clear right away that you have been approved for PR then your CV will not be considered.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hi,

As someone who has looked at the data of millions of Canadian job seekers(that's the industry I once worked in) - there's no Canadian style resume. Pre-arrival services folks don't have the right training from what I saw

There are only reverse chronological or functional/combination resume formats that are used in North America. The choice between those is primarily dictated by how relevant your past exp/skills are or how many years of exp you have. All you've to do is to follow a STAR format; focus on numbers, display impact and depth, etc. Resumes are not even important. Chances are, yours will most like be scanned by an ATS and no one will even see how it actually looked.

Resume specific problems are also very limited:
1. Using the same resume to apply for all jobs (no customization for each job ad). Sort job opportunities by 1:1 customization (write a custom resume for these - 1:1 is a criteria for best fit, highly relevant past exp, spend more time on each application, etc), 1:many customization(same generic resume, spray and pray application, minor customization)
2. Using a two column format
3. Listing your nationality or work authorization
4. Not using ATS specific keywords
5. Photo on resume (automated rejection in American companies)
6. Personal info (e.g. age listed on resume)

How many applications have you sent so far? Have you asked any mentor or someone in Canadian job market to review your resume and provide feedback? That's always a healthy thing to do.

Have you spoken to any Data Scientist who migrated not too long ago and got a DS job? If you haven't done so already, I'd not wait on this. I think there are a few active DS folks on the forum too that you can specific reach out to and ask.

Reactions: AndyUK

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
When I applied for a job while I was still in the UK I put on the application my AirBnB Canadian address and information that I have CoPR and I will be landing on April 30 (I applied in late March). I also put my UK phone number. I wasn't trying to BS that I'm already in Canada but it was very clear that I will be landing very soon.
TBH, I was expecting it to be an absolute nightmare to find a job but I only sent 2 applications and got a job so it was alright ;)

BTW, my wife applied for only one job (once we arrived in Canada) and she got it straight away too. We spent a lot of time tailoring our resumes and cover letters to the roles we were applying for and focused on providing as many numbers and details about what we improved/achieved in previous roles. Pretty much what iSaidGoodDay said above.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Hi,

Hi there!

Congratulations on getting your COPR! It's a big step towards moving to Canada.

It's definitely possible to get a job before landing in Canada, but it's not always easy. There are a few things you can do to increase your chances:
  • Make sure your resume is tailored to the Canadian job market. This means using Canadian keywords and highlighting your skills and experience in a way that is relevant to Canadian employers.
  • Network with people in your field in Canada. This can be done online or through professional organizations.
  • Be prepared to answer questions about your immigration status. Employers will want to know that you are legally allowed to work in Canada.
It's also possible that your current address is affecting your chances of getting interviews. Some employers may filter out profiles that are not based in Canada. You can try putting your Canadian address on your resume, or you can reach out to the hiring manager directly to let them know that you are planning to move to Canada.

I'm happy to hear that you are working with ICTC to get your resume "Canadianized." This is a great way to make sure that your resume is up to date and that it is tailored to the Canadian job market.

I'm not sure if I have any "success stories" to share, but I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the job search process in Canada.

I hope this helps!

radicalprotnns

Star Member
Nov 10, 2022
Yes your application is likely being filtered out due to the lack of Canadian information. Would suggest at the very least getting a Canadian phone number.
Noted. I have a US phone number that I put in the resume. I wonder if they'd bother checking the area code!

radicalprotnns

Star Member
Nov 10, 2022
I didn't exactly get a job before landing, but I was interviewed remotely for a well paying job in my field. I was offered the job shortly after landing.

LinkedIn Premium worked wonders for me, and it's how I got the interview. As mentioned above, your application is very likely to be filtered out when your contact information + most/all experience is outside Canada.

Find job listings on LinkedIn that you think you are a good match for. Search for the hiring manager - or someone who could be connected to the role based on their title. Send a well crafted LinkedIn message expressing your interest and your plans to come to Canada as a PR.

In my case, the head of the department straight up told me that he asked the hiring team to review my application because he liked my message. It was not going to be picked up otherwise.

Good luck!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm now trying to message hiring managers on LinkedIn but I don't have premium so I add them first. May I know what industry you're in?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm now trying to message hiring managers on LinkedIn but I don't have premium so I add them first. May I know what industry you're in?
I hope you don't mean recruiters here. Recruiters don't network and they don't like people who do so. You are likely to get referrals for jobs if you reach out to the right hiring manager. Get Linkedin premium and send inmails, you'll also have access to 3rd degree connections that way.

I haven't even landed in Canada yet, but I've an exec role that I was offered 1.5 years ago. I still get jobs and offers. My thing is very different. I'm deeply involved in mentoring and consulting, so I always have a large funnel of jobs I can pick from if I need to. I don't have a resume at all.

Build networks while you apply for a job. You are operating in isolation with very little visibility. Get rid of that asap.

Otoh, have you tried Blind yet? You'll find people from your similar past orgs (if you worked in a large org) and can get referrals: https://www.teamblind.com/post/DSMLE-in-Canada-how-are-you-doing-Ee8Lip6m (look at the first comment offering a DS referral in POF)

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
I hope you don't mean recruiters here. Recruiters don't network and they don't like people who do so. You are likely to get referrals for jobs if you reach out to the right hiring manager. Get Linkedin premium and send inmails, you'll also have access to 3rd degree connections that way.

I haven't even landed in Canada yet, but I've an exec role that I was offered 1.5 years ago. I still get jobs and offers. My thing is very different. I'm deeply involved in mentoring and consulting, so I always have a large funnel of jobs I can pick from if I need to. I don't have a resume at all.

Build networks while you apply for a job. You are operating in isolation with very little visibility. Get rid of that asap.

Otoh, have you tried Blind yet? You'll find people from your similar past orgs (if you worked in a large org) and can get referrals: https://www.teamblind.com/post/DSMLE-in-Canada-how-are-you-doing-Ee8Lip6m (look at the first comment offering a DS referral in POF)
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely look into getting LinkedIn Premium and sending inmails to hiring managers. I have also heard good things about Blind, so I will check it out.

I agree that it is important to build networks while applying for a job. I have been trying to do this by attending virtual networking events and connecting with people on LinkedIn. However, I am still relatively new to Canada and don't have a large network here yet.

I appreciate your help and advice. I will definitely take your suggestions into account as I continue my job search.

I also agree with your point about recruiters. In my experience, recruiters are often more interested in filling their own quotas than in helping candidates find the right jobs. I have had much better luck networking directly with hiring managers.

I hope that you are able to land the exec role that you were offered. It sounds like you have a lot of valuable experience and skills. I am sure that you will be able to find a great job in Canada.

Thank you again for your help!

radicalprotnns

Star Member
Nov 10, 2022
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely look into getting LinkedIn Premium and sending inmails to hiring managers. I have also heard good things about Blind, so I will check it out.

I agree that it is important to build networks while applying for a job. I have been trying to do this by attending virtual networking events and connecting with people on LinkedIn. However, I am still relatively new to Canada and don't have a large network here yet.

I appreciate your help and advice. I will definitely take your suggestions into account as I continue my job search.

I also agree with your point about recruiters. In my experience, recruiters are often more interested in filling their own quotas than in helping candidates find the right jobs. I have had much better luck networking directly with hiring managers.

I hope that you are able to land the exec role that you were offered. It sounds like you have a lot of valuable experience and skills. I am sure that you will be able to find a great job in Canada.

Thank you again for your help!
Hi @Raptor33, I wanted to send you a DM but I couldn't. Anyway, have you already landed? May I know what industry you're in?