+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question off to the side here....

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My Grandfather was born in Sherbrooke, Quebec in 1903. He lived in Oregon (US) from the mid 1920's until his death in 1979. He told us he renounced his Canadian citizenship in 1942.

Through extensive records research by other family members, we are finding out he never did renounce his Canadian citizenship and died a dual citizen....supposedly

1. How does this effect my Dad? (Born 1943 in Oregon). Is he a de-facto Canadian? (Probably not, but I am just asking)
2. Does this fact help or hinder my current application (currently languishing in Buffalo)?

Thanks!

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you were born in another country after February 14, 1977, to a Canadian parent who was also born in another country to a Canadian parent, you may need to take steps to retain your citizenship before you turn 28 years of age.

On April 17, 2009 the law changed to end the need to retain citizenship for many people. However, people born outside Canada who are subject to the retention rules and who turn 28 before the new law comes into effect must still take action to retain citizenship.

Also, if you were born outside Canada and your parent was a Canadian citizen when you were born, your child born in another country after the new law comes into effect will not be a Canadian citizen by birth.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/citizenship/cit-proof-faq01.asp

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well...being that I am 46....it's kind of a moot point then :)

I still plan, later on, to look and see about my Canadian family roots. First, however, I need the PR - hopefully soon.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Still young then :eek:) Good luck with the decision, hope its good news. Also, it may be worth dropping CIC a note to specifically request info? I'm no expert on here.