+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question of foreign skilled work experience -URG

ashashash9876

Apr 6, 2020
Hey Folks!

I'm going through express entry and I have a query:

"In the last 10 years, how many total years of foreign skilled work experience do you have?" (this is from the website to calculate CRS Score)

I did an internship during my undergrad. This was a Software Engineer Intern role at a startup which was paid and full-time for 6 months.
Can this be counted as foreign skilled work experience ?

My Profile: Master's in CS from USA. I work at a startup in the bay area for ~2 years.

Thanks!

newbiealpha

Star Member
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Folks!

I'm going through express entry and I have a query:

"In the last 10 years, how many total years of foreign skilled work experience do you have?" (this is from the website to calculate CRS Score)

I did an internship during my undergrad. This was a Software Engineer Intern role at a startup which was paid and full-time for 6 months.
Can this be counted as foreign skilled work experience ?

My Profile: Master's in CS from USA. I work at a startup in the bay area for ~2 years.

Thanks!
Yes

NicoHughes

Star Member
Apr 13, 2020
@newbiealpha Thanks! I'm seeing mixed responses here:
https://www.quora.com/Does-internship-experience-count-for-immigration-to-Canada

Can you perhaps share the official guideline which says that we can (if you have it) ?
There's no official guideline and it's always been a gray area, that's why you and many other people are asking this.

IRCC only explicitly address that internship gained during Canadian study permit will not count towards CEC, but never mention FSW or foreign internship experience.

NicoHughes

Star Member
Apr 13, 2020
This only explains how internship count towards FSW minimum requirement, but never mention how it works for additional experience beyond 1 year.

According to this post (https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/internship-experience-during-university-counts-towards-express-entry.618872/), someone has successfully applied for PR by counting their non-Canadian internship experience.

NicoHughes

Star Member
Apr 13, 2020
If you are talking about whether or not student work experience also counts for FSW selection criteria, the answer is yes:

Work experience (maximum 15 points)
You can get points for the number of years you’ve spent doing full-time paid work (at least 30 hours per week, or an equal amount of part-time [15 hours per week for 24 months]) at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2016 National Occupational Classification.
To get selection factor points, your work experience will count if it was:
in Canada or abroad
while you were studying
while being self-employed

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html#experience

If you are talking about CRS points, the link I posted initially clarifies that as well:

How student work experience affects your profile ranking
Canadian work experience gained while you were a full-time student doesn’t count towards the score used to rank your profile.
The work experience gained as a full-time student outside Canada counts towards the score used to rank your profile.
You are correct man, sorry I missed that final paragraph in the link for whatever God knows reason.