+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question of Canadian Work Exeprience when Applying for CEC

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
Hi, I am currently working full time as a permanent role at a Canadian company. My situation is I went back to my country since last September due to some emergency reasons with the permission of my company. But due to covid 19 and other reason, I could not come back to Canada since last September. That means I am currently still working abroad for the Canadian company. The company pays me compensation, offere me all the benefit and deals with the tax issue. I can say I am totally the same with all the other permanent co-workers, and the only difference is I am not located in Canada. Can I count the work experience since last Sep as part of my work experience to apply for CEC?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I am currently working full time as a permanent role at a Canadian company. My situation is I went back to my country since last September due to some emergency reasons with the permission of my company. But due to covid 19 and other reason, I could not come back to Canada since last September. That means I am currently still working abroad for the Canadian company. The company pays me compensation, offere me all the benefit and deals with the tax issue. I can say I am totally the same with all the other permanent co-workers, and the only difference is I am not located in Canada. Can I count the work experience since last Sep as part of my work experience to apply for CEC?
No - you can't. You can only count time you were physically in Canada working. This is clearly outlined in the basic eligibility requirements for CEC.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

Minimum requirements
You must
  • meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability
    • writing
    • reading
    • listening
    • speaking
  • have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply—you can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time work:for example 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
      • You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement.
    • full-time work at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
  • have gained your work experience by working in Canada while under temporary resident status with authorization to work

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Even if you're working for a Canadian employer you're not in Canada which can't count as Canadian experience. It can count as experience towards FSW.